WatchOS 10 Sleep Mode - Touch Screen and Display Issues

Reaction score
Hi, since updating to WatchOS 10, the sleep mode focus no longer disables the touch screen or turns off the display when I cover it with my palm. Previously, I could interact with the watch by long pressing the crown, which helped avoid accidentally turning off alarms or timers while sleeping. How can I re-enable the crown long press feature?

Thanks.

Reaction score
It sounds like the update to WatchOS 10 has changed how Sleep Mode functions on your Apple Watch, affecting your ability to use the crown long press feature. Here are a few steps you can take to address the touch screen and display issues in Sleep Mode:

Check and Adjust Sleep Mode Settings​

1. Ensure Sleep Mode is Properly Configured:
    • Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
    • Go to My Watch > Sleep.
    • Ensure Sleep Mode is enabled and configured correctly.
  2. Enable Theater Mode:
    • Theater Mode can help prevent accidental touches and keep the screen off until you interact with it.
    • Swipe up from the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center.
    • Tap the theater masks icon to enable Theater Mode. This will keep the display off unless you press the side button or Digital Crown.

Adjust Display Settings​

1. Adjust Wake Screen Settings:
    • Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
    • Go to Display & Brightness > Wake Duration.
    • Set the wake duration to the shortest time available to reduce accidental interactions.
  2. Enable Do Not Disturb During Sleep:
    • Go to My Watch > Sleep > Sleep Schedule.
    • Ensure Turn On at Bedtime and Turn Off at Wake Up are enabled for Do Not Disturb.

Re-enable Crown Long Press Feature​

Unfortunately, with the latest updates, some features might be reconfigured or altered. If the crown long press feature isn't working as before, you can try resetting settings to see if it helps:

1. Restart Your Apple Watch:
    • Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.
    • Drag the slider to turn off your watch, then press and hold the side button again until you see the Apple logo.
  2. Reset Sleep Data and Settings:
    • Go to General > Reset > Reset Sync Data.

Ask a Question