Please Help (iCloud)

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an imac (Late 2012 running Yosemite 10.10.5).
I am unable to log into iCloud account with my user with the error 'your user ID or password was incorrect'.
However, I am able to log in on my iPhone, iPad & even my old Mac Mini (running 10.9.5).
I have tried creating new user, resetting apple i.d., deleting .pref files but to no avail.
Could somebody PLEASE help as I am at a loss :(
Thank you so much in advance.

Reaction score
Hi GILBS, and welcome to the forum.

This is due to upgraded security in iCloud. Its fairly easy to resolve.

You need to use your iPhone or iPad to generate a security code and then add that to the end of your password.

When you are prompted on your 2012 iMac to enter your AppleID Password, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings
2. Tap on your name (On top, or Top left on iPads)
3. Tap on Passwords & Security
4. Tap on Get Verification Code
5. Use your password + the verification code.
Example: If your password is Apple123, and the verification code is 987987 then when prompted for your AppleID password you would type in Apple123987987

Reaction score
Hi GILBS, and welcome to the forum.

This is due to upgraded security in iCloud. Its fairly easy to resolve.

You need to use your iPhone or iPad to generate a security code and then add that to the end of your password.

When you are prompted on your 2012 iMac to enter your AppleID Password, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings
2. Tap on your name (On top, or Top left on iPads)
3. Tap on Passwords & Security
4. Tap on Get Verification Code
5. Use your password + the verification code.
Example: If your password is Apple123, and the verification code is 987987 then when prompted for your AppleID password you would type in Apple123987987
Hi MacsBug,
Firstly thank you for your reply (I wasnt aware of step 4).
I have done this but still get your Apple ID or password was incorrect?
I tried a couple of verification codes but still no joy.
I know the password is correct as my iPhone is connected to iCloud :(

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure MacsBug has got it right, that was my understanding of the method too. Just for the sake of experimentation have you tried just entering the verification code on its own.

Reaction score
If nothing works you may be forced to upgrade your macOS to High Sierra. I have a 2010 old white unibody MacBook which logs in to iCloud running High Sierra, I think Yosemite is just too old.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure MacsBug has got it right, that was my understanding of the method too. Just for the sake of experimentation have you tried just entering the verification code on its own.
Yea just tried that, but to no avail :(

Reaction score
If nothing works you may be forced to upgrade your macOS to High Sierra. I have a 2010 old white unibody MacBook which logs in to iCloud running High Sierra, I think Yosemite is just too old.
I guess thats the last resort but a bit reluctant for some of my older apps may not be compatible...

Reaction score
I just tested this on a machine running 10.10 and I was able to log into iCloud with 1 of my AppleIDs.

When I 1st tried, it sent a code to my other devices that were logged in with that AppleID then I added the 6 digit code to my password and I was able to log in.

When I tried the method above, there seems to be only a 1 minute timeframe for you to enter the password+code for it to work.

Hope that this helps.

Reaction score
I just tested this on a machine running 10.10 and I was able to log into iCloud with 1 of my AppleIDs.

When I 1st tried, it sent a code to my other devices that were logged in with that AppleID then I added the 6 digit code to my password and I was able to log in.

When I tried the method above, there seems to be only a 1 minute timeframe for you to enter the password+code for it to work.

Hope that this helps.
Hi MacsBug,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to test, that is very kind.

Unfortunatly I was well within the 1 minute :(

What is strange though is that the imac does not send the code to my trusted device (iPhone). The Mac mini did (which worked) but the iMac does not?

Does that help at all?

Reaction score
Is your iMac connected to the web, or do you have any 3rd party firewall software that may be blocking iCloud services?

Reaction score
Whan you say web, I guess you mean internet & yes via ethernet.
I do have a winscribe firewall but it is turned off.

Reaction score
Also, Messages (apple app!) asks for an app-specific password??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-23 at 18.49.03.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-23 at 18.49.03.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
It looks like it's sending the code to your other devices. You may want to make sure that your phone is on when you try this to see if the code comes through,

Reaction score
It looks like it's sending the code to your other devices. You may want to make sure that your phone is on when you try this to see if the code comes through,
The Mac Mini sends ok & verification code comes through onto iPhone. The iMac (slightly later OS) does not however.

Reaction score
I take it that you are using the same AppleID on all devices. After it sends the code, do you get an option for other ways. where it can text you the code? I think the option is devices unavailable or something like that.

Reaction score
I take it that you are using the same AppleID on all devices. After it sends the code, do you get an option for other ways. where it can text you the code? I think the option is devices unavailable or something like that.
yes mate & the id works on iPhone & also https://account.apple.com on the imac browser (which sends verification to the iphone) which confirms all details are correct.
No, the iMac dosent send a code, just tells me:
Screen Shot 2024-09-25 at 00.59.05.png

Ask a Question