Mini 6 vertical split screen

Reaction score
Mini 6 iPad with iOS 16 is splitting the screen vertically (top to bottom). How do I restore the screen to no-split? If I move the divider up it will enlarge the bottom panel to most of the screen, but the upper panel still has an inch at the top. I tried rebooting, but I can't even log in. It appears the screen is locked (padlock icon).

Reaction score
Thank you, I discovered that I can log in. I use a Mini 5 and I'm not familiar with the radically different gesture mechanisms on the Mini 6.

I tried your suggestion, but I think that setting is for a horizontal split screen (left and right). The iPad has a vertically split screen and the Setting has no effect.

Reaction score
Problem solved. Or, more like, solution blundered into.

Originally I didn't think I could log in because I wasn't familiar with the Mini 6 gestures to make the PIN keypad visible. I then tried to Shut Down, but it didn't seem to be responding to the Power Button + Volume Button protocol, but maybe I just couldn't see the power off slider because of the partial screens. Eventually I found I could make the PIN keypad visible and log in, and from there the iPad could be forced to shutdown via Settings > General > Shut Down. After it booted up everything was fine.

After ten years of using the Mini 1 and Mini 5, the controls on my wife's Mini 6 drive me crazy. I have no idea the advantage of having no physical power button on the Mini 6 screen is. Must be something really good, I hope. 😒

Ask a Question