MacBook Pro M2 Pro auto updates even when I have turned everything off

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2023 MacBook Pro (M2 Pro) 16Gb 1Tb. The computer runs smooth but I need it stay in my current OS and it auto updates even when I have removed all from System Setting - General - Software Update - Automatic updates. So now I´m on Sequoia 15.. I use this computer for music DAW most of the time and some for office related work. So I need it stay on older OS since its unsafe to update because of the hardware compatibility, 3rd party plugins and the DAW software itself. I cannot risk it not being able to run my software and my hardware.

So is there some place I have missed which still autoupdates my computer? Where do I look?

Reaction score
macOS Sequoia has changed the settings slightly so here are the current settings. Search for Software Update in Settings, you should see the below;

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 08.02.36.png

Click the "i" at the end of Automatic Updates and you will see the below;

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 08.00.40.png

This is how I have my settings, but you will still get a notification I assume (hasn't happened in Sequoia yet) but as with mine above only Security updates will be automatic. I'm not sure how you had them before but mine were similar to above. I've never allowed automatic updates or upgrades to occur.

Reaction score
macOS Sequoia has changed the settings slightly so here are the current settings. Search for Software Update in Settings, you should see the below;

View attachment 5287

Click the "i" at the end of Automatic Updates and you will see the below;

View attachment 5288

This is how I have my settings, but you will still get a notification I assume (hasn't happened in Sequoia yet) but as with mine above only Security updates will be automatic. I'm not sure how you had them before but mine were similar to above. I've never allowed automatic updates or upgrades to occur.
Thanks for your answer. This I how I have had it all the time, but still.... it doesn't turn it off. So I don't know where to look. I don't wanna get the automatic updates anymore

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 15.23.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 15.23.12.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 15.23.43.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 15.23.43.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
It certainly looks like you've done all the right things, just try checking one other thing. App Store Settings in System Settings also has an Automatic Update option, make sure that's turned off too.

Reaction score
Well that seem possible but I don't think this one could be it.. or maybe I´m at the wrong place? This screenshot is from inside App Store and Settings

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 09.02.08.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 09.02.08.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
That looks fine too. Do you get notifications for System Updates? Clicking on a notification gives you a few options but they are just to delay the upgrade/update.
Honestly with the settings you have I cannot imagine how you could download and install an upgrade without you interacting with the process because it involves approving a EULA and selecting a location to install to.

Reaction score
I got notifications but they don't seem to have any meaning since it seems like it ignores what I answer anyhow. I didn't get any interacting with EULA or location to install to in either OS 14 or 15 since I got this MacBook. I have had MacBooks since 2010 and think I know pretty well what I´m doing in this OS but it seems like it still lives its own life independent on what I choose for update routine. I have factory reset many MacBooks in the last years and have worked with computer in Windows based systems and on various Mac´s. So I´m not a newbie for this but still I haven't found the right parameters to turn off the auto updates.

Reaction score
I am assuming you are the only admin user account on the device, like myself?
If so I have to admit I'm stumped. I've had lots of people over the years that wanted to prevent the annoying notifications, "An update is available..." but none where the update/upgrade proceeded without approval. Of course it's so much more difficult to solve sight unseen.

Reaction score
I´m the only admin on the device so no one else is controlling it as far as I know.. It's really annoying that this is happening all the time. Thanks for trying to help anyway. I will keep looking for ways to stop the autoupdate from happening in the future.

Reaction score
I´m the only admin on the device so no one else is controlling it as far as I know.. It's really annoying that this is happening all the time. Thanks for trying to help anyway. I will keep looking for ways to stop the autoupdate from happening in the future.
I would really love to know if and how you solve it. Sadly it's not something you can easily test. I can only imagine that the settings you have are not working which suggests a system software error.

It might be worth running First Aid on the Macintosh HD from Disk Utility. Don't be surprised if it finds nothing wrong, the upgrade may even have corrected the error.

Reaction score
I just run First Aid but with nothing wrong as you suggested.

I considering to factory reset it back to how it was delivered with OS 13. But it will take many hours to reconfigure everything back to where I have all the plugins and ekstra software installed.

Reaction score
Maybe just wait a little until the Sequoia update 15.1 comes out. It's due early October, then you can see if your current settings work.

Reaction score
So, macOS update 15.0.1 has been released, did you device update or is it still on macOS 15.0 ? If not does it have a red "System Update Available" tag in System Settings? This would indicate it knows it's available but is waiting for you to update manually.

Reaction score
Still have the same settings but still coming auto update.. if I don't sit next to it and turn it off manually.. really annoying..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 18.28.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 18.28.41.png
    345.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 18.31.58.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 18.31.58.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
That's disappointing. You're going to think this is stupid especially if you did it but I'm "clutching at straws" here.
Apple say;
  1. Click the Apple icon  in macOS Ventura or later and choose System Settings.
  2. Go to General > Software Update.
  3. Click the info button ⓘ next to Automatic updates.
  4. Turn off the switch for ‘Download new updates when available.’
  5. Finally, click Done.
So, I assume that you did click Done? Otherwise the settings are not saved.

Reaction score
That's disappointing. You're going to think this is stupid especially if you did it but I'm "clutching at straws" here.
Apple say;
  1. Click the Apple icon  in macOS Ventura or later and choose System Settings.
  2. Go to General > Software Update.
  3. Click the info button ⓘ next to Automatic updates.
  4. Turn off the switch for ‘Download new updates when available.’
  5. Finally, click Done.
So, I assume that you did click Done? Otherwise the settings are not saved.
Of course I clicked "Done". I´m not a beginner in this even if it might seem like it. I've been a system admin for a Mac - lab at work so I´m used to configuring different setups for different tasks. I've been using Mac´s since 2010 so I have re-installed and formatted many Mac´s over the years.

This is the first time I've experienced this problem on a new Mac and not found a solution on any forum

Reaction score
Just experienced the same again.. it tried to autoupdate again and I just went through all the settings again and clicked "Done" after finishing setup. Still trying to autoupdate. Wtf Apple!!

Reaction score
Yes, well, I did just have to ask.
It seems like the preferences you have set are not being accepted or stored. Were it something other than system preferences I would suggest deleting the preference folder but with the current macOS I'm not sure how you would do that. I'm pretty sure Apple would, as they often do, suggest reinstalling the OS which may be the only way.

Ask a Question