Mac Mini Intel + eGPU for SimRacing purpose

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

As a Apple environment user for years now, I would like your advices and opinions on the following project.

My plan is to build/design a Mac Mini config that will allow me to enjoy my SimRacing games based ln my previous experiences.

I was used to play on a MacBook Pro 2018 with intel processor and the integrated Radeon 560x GPU. Unfortunately motherboard is now « dead » and I had to by something else.
Bored of laptop use for daily work and after work playing time, I recently bought a Mac Mini M2 pro coupled with an Studio Display. Which are absolutely great, but gaming possibilities are now gone due to M2 chip. (Yes, the SimRacing games I have won’t run under Parallels, Cross over or Whisky. (Rfactor2, Le Mans Ultimate, iracing)

Therefor, I am mixed feelings on what to do next to get back into my simracing rig.
Obviously I’d like to use the Apple Studio Display I have now but shall I go for :
- building a PC
- building another Mac Mini (intel chip) coupled with a GPU.

Coming from MB pro 2018, its config was to « short » to get it working on higher details but still was playable and actually allowed me to enjoy it.

In a budget for this (if I may say) I would like your opinions and advices on what would be a sweet config to make it work.
- Mac Mini
- eGPU
- Studio display used

Maybe building a PC is still the best performance/budget option, but I honestly don’t want an « ugly » PC tower/case into my man cave.
I feel like 2 Mac minis one above each others, each one for its own purpose, would not hurt my eyes compare to an intrusive PC case.
Mac lovers can understand that.

So,
1) about Mac Mini Intel powered, an i7 3.2GHz is the best I can get on aftermarket if I’m correct?

2) about RAM, 16go would be minimum. Can you confirm MacMini RAM can be replaced/upgraded? It has 2 slots ? Is it only DDR3 ?

3) about eGPU, I plan to build one by myself with an empty case and a graphic card I could assembled. But here comes my doubts for next point 4)

4) about Studio Display, I’m aware it is 5k 60hz, and maybe gaming isn’t its best capabilities, but I ‘d like to use it even with lower resolutions like 1440p or even 1080p if no choice.
Is the thunderbolt way of powering the monitor a problem ?

So, points 3) and 4) being linked and my knowledge, research ends up here. I préfère to ask you guys.

What are your thoughts, advices, suggestions to get this project ready to work nicely together?

Thank you for you help.

Aurelien

Reaction score
Open Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Tabs, and check if there is an option to Prevent tabs from loading automatically. This should help manage the tabs without loading them all at once.

Ask a Question