How to restart from recovery disk, having gone the recovery over internet route?

Reaction score
Hi,

MacBook retina 2017, Ventura 13.7

I've received a new to me MacBook. I decided to wipe it and start afresh to be safe. Started up from Recovery Disk, used Disk Tools to wipe hard drive. Then proceeded to try and install Ventura again, but at the time my internet access was via a public wifi, with a captive login screen I believe they're known. I couldn't get the Recovery Disk internet access to allow me to access this. While trying to do this I found out about Recovery over the internet, so tried that to see if that would yield something useful, it didn't.

But now, starting up with any of these:
command+R
command+shift+R
command+shift+option+R
all result in the Recovery over the internet start (spinning globe with wifi network choice popup menu).

Is it possible for me to start from the internal recovery disk? If so, how? Or, as I fear, that has in some way been wiped or something?, thus I need to recover over the internet, I don't have any option now?

Thanks.

Reaction score
There are 3 options that will work for you. The easiest way is to connect an ethernet cable to the Mac and run the internet recovery.

The second option is to use another Mac, download the installer and then create a USB instalation disk. Then hold down the Option key when you start up the Mac, and select the drive. Just note depending on the security settings of the T1 chip, this may not work.

The last option is to use another Mac with USB-c ports on it, and use Apple Configurator to restore your MacBook Pro.

Ask a Question