Move images and files from downloads folder to selected file without copying the file

Reaction score
I am trying to clean up my downloads folder. I would like to move files from downloads to named files on my desktop. All of the tutorials I have read allow me to copy the files in download, but not move the file so that the end goal: downloads folder is empty. HELP?!!

Reaction score
Hmm...it does for me. From any Finder folder to another.

I tried several different ones. You are talking about just the command key and you don't let go until the document/image is in the folder? It is not working for me. If it helps, I am on a Mac Book Pro 2019 with Catalina.

Reaction score
Please accept my apologies. I misread your original post. Simply dragging and dropping a file from should move the file rather than copy it. That's the way it's always been and should still be with Catalina according to this:

Reaction score
I suspect it is a Catalina thing. It can't be this hard to move a file and not have it "stay" in the downloads folder, creating more space used on the computer instead of less. My frustration mounts!!! Thank you so much for trying.

Reaction score
I am using Catalina and for me it is a straight drag and drop from Downloads folder to Desktop, if I need to move the file to another drive or device I use the Command key when dragging and dropping.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Does it happen with moving documents from any other folders, or just the Downloads folder?
-Do you happen to be signed into iCloud and have  > System Preferences... > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options... > Desktop & Documents Folders enabled?
-Did you recently perform an update from an older version of macOS to Catalina?

C

Ask a Question