Help my poor mac pro 5,1 os id gone

Reaction score
I was trying to keep my internal drive as is and I added a 1tb drive to turn into a gaming drive using teh emulator Lakka for retro games. Somehow both drives are now wiped and ONLY boot into GRUB using the LAKKA emulator as the OS. I have done every single combo with booting and button. i cannot reinstall a OS, the only keys to stop the boot is holding down options which lets me bootinto one of 2 EFI drives and I tried to boot a USB it wont talke my Sonoma, Big Sur, and El Captian and OSX seem to not be good copies. Big Sur also freezes all the time on amy mac. How can i get a normal OS running Ipromis not to do this again. I also was running a day prior Sonoma to check it out through Opencore, but never got to use it for long. I just want my machine back both my original drive the main one is messed up and the spare drive. I have 2 others I bought but not formatted, they are old from a neighbors garage and may or may not work. Also have a mac air, usbs and a pc but thhe other one i am developing a game on. thanks to be clear i striet cmb, opt, r, p - cmd r, shift, opt, cmd r, also with s, and also opt alaone which works best. I get the terminal but cant type and get error=-32

Reaction score
I was trying to keep my internal drive as is and I added a 1tb drive to turn into a gaming drive using teh emulator Lakka for retro games. Somehow both drives are now wiped and ONLY boot into GRUB using the LAKKA emulator as the OS. I have done every single combo with booting and button. i cannot reinstall a OS, the only keys to stop the boot is holding down options which lets me bootinto one of 2 EFI drives and I tried to boot a USB it wont talke my Sonoma, Big Sur, and El Captian and OSX seem to not be good copies. Big Sur also freezes all the time on amy mac. How can i get a normal OS running Ipromis not to do this again. I also was running a day prior Sonoma to check it out through Opencore, but never got to use it for long. I just want my machine back both my original drive the main one is messed up and the spare drive. I have 2 others I bought but not formatted, they are old from a neighbors garage and may or may not work. Also have a mac air, usbs and a pc but thhe other one i am developing a game on. thanks to be clear i striet cmb, opt, r, p - cmd r, shift, opt, cmd r, also with s, and also opt alaone which works best. I get the terminal but cant type and get error=-32
If you have the Mac5,1 it is possibly the Mid 2010 or the Mid 2012 model. I have the latter myself. If you install a metal-capable grahics card in it, it should be able to run macOS Mojave. Not certain, but I believe you can even format your drives as APFS. I have, had, two SSD drives in mine, both running Mojave, on PCIe adapter cards. And all the built in SCSI drives populated as well, and two optical drives. It was sad when I had to retire it in exchange for a 2018 Mac mini, but it should still be operational. It also had two 30" Cinema Displays. That’s how robust the older Mac Pros were.

Anyway, as long as you have an internet connection you can try booting into recovery (boot and hold down ⌘-R) and bring up Disk Utility to format the drive you want to use. If you intend to install Mojave, I suggest opting for APFS. After that, Recovery should offer to install the newest version of macOS, which in this case will probably be Mojave. I’m assuming you know the procedure to migrate your previous data into your new system. Good luck.

Ask a Question