SOLVED Why is my Safari page so small

Reaction score
Dont know what I did, Apple help not making sense . My Safari page is all of a sudden 1/3 the size, not full page, Why? How to fix, thx.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

In the menu bar in Safari, click the View and then Actual Size. Or, Command 0 (number not letter). That should bring it back to normal size. Command + and Command - zoom in our zoom out.

C

Reaction score
Where is "Actual Size"? Not shown on mine, and Command 0 does nothing. Andd the only way I can get to upper bar ( not sure its name) is by scrolling mouse up to top of screen then it appears. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks

Hmmm..if it is greyed out, it is zoomed to normal size.

If you are in full screen mode, the menu bar is hidden, which is why you have to move your mouse to the top of the screen. Or, you have the menu bar automatically hide/show enabled in System Preferences (if it is always that way and not just in the Safari app)

Can you upload a photo of the issue?

C

Reaction score
No upload image is too large. If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be here. I tried to upload a screenshot but failed, too large. I try to Safari View to go to full screen but the next time I go to Safari it's back to 1/3 size. All I know.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It is the menu bar - where you will see:

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 18.54.09.png

So, are the fonts and photos on a web page too small, or is it just the window size that changes?

If the window size, you can hover your mouse over the edges of the window and the pointer will change to arrows. You can then click and drag them to resize the window. Do that in bottom right corner of Safari window and cursor changes to diagonal arrows the will expand window up/down and left/right as you drag it. Or, when not in fullscreen mode, you can hold Option key while clicking the green dot in upper left to expand the window size.

Let me know if that works or if I am completely missing the issue.

C

Reaction score
My menu bar fails to show unless I scroll up to top of page. Websites are fine. It is my Safari page with all my faves icons listed. I hit some button today by mistake, and now I only get that Safari page showing at 1/3 size. When I hit safari view and go full size, the screen does that but the menu bar is gone ( was always visible before) until I hover over top of page. Frustrated. The issue is with my Safari home page size and what it shows and does not show. Tried to tack on a screenshot but your forum said it was too large. Very done here.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry about the image upload issue...I don't have any control over the file size setting. You can resize it with Preview, but I know that is a hassle.

Glad you figured it out. ;)

It can sometimes be hard to do support via forum posts like this without a visual or hands on the Mac.

Here is an Apple Help article that may help (not sure which version of macOS/Safari you are using):
Customize the Safari browser window on Mac

Sorry...hang in there!

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory. I appreciate all the help I get here. Sometimes frustrating issues are difficult to accurately describe and sometimes impossible to show. I think I accidentally "shrunk" the page and it stayed there. After a couple hours reading and messing, I fixed it by....simply grabbing left and right and top and bottom edges of screen and taking them to the edges and hoping. When I let go it stayed. It also returned correctly sized as I had stretched, at the next attempt, repeatedly. Sometimes just the dumbest quick fixes seem to work. Again, thanks for the help. This forum is a great resource.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...that's why we're here!

I know it can be frustrating at times, and it can be hard to communicate about the issue from your side and ours, but is always good to hear that a solution has been reached.

Yes, once you set the window size and close the window or quit Safari, it should stay that size, including when opening new windows.

Be well, appreciate your patience, and thanks for the kind words,

C

Ask a Question