Weird browser redraw behavior

Have you had a similar problem?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have had this problem on both a MacBook Pro as well as on an iMac. Also, this is not specific to a single Mac OS X version; on the MacBook Pro, I am on the latest version of Mavericks and on the iMac, I was on the latest version of Yosemite (the issue on the iMac was prior to El Capitan's release).

It is hard to describe this error, so I will show it:

Basically, any browser (this example is Chrome, which is worse, but it is similar in Safari) will redraw continually is basically unusable. In the video, I am not pressing any buttons, only moving the mouse around. The MacBook Pro had a boot hang on a grey screen for which I was able to remedy with the solution found here:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-usb-drive-with-fresh-os-x-inst/144416#144416

While I don't want to jump the gun and send anyone who could help in the wrong direction, I believe that there is some issue with the graphics cards, specifically ATI cards. Both the iMac and MacBook Pro have those cards and it is basically the only similarity between the systems. I reiterate, it could be something else but this is all I suspect.

Are there any solutions to this? Should I roll back the Mac OS X version so that older, better working drivers are used?

Reaction score
I just discovered that in "About This Mac" the "Displays" panel shows spdisplays_display. I see a way to fix that value but do those fixes actually fix the deeper issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Can't see the video, can you edit your post.
-Did you perform a migration from one of your Macs to the other? That could have transferred the issue.
-spdisplays_display - have you been EDID hacking around in the System, or is it showing the wrong name for an external display?

C

Reaction score
Here is the video link:

This was a fresh install about a year ago and it was working before.

I don't think I did any EDID hacking but I did use have to use the above fix booting into single-user and removing all the drivers for ATI and AMD cards in order to get past a gray screen.

Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question