Update to Monterey stuck at one minute remaining

Reaction score
I got a cheap MacMini late 2014 for a special task. Nice machine! Was delivered with Catalina, but I wanted to update to Monterey, which is the ultimate OS for that machine. So I do it, and on reboot, it gets stuck at the 1 minute mark. Sits there for a half-hour like that. I reboot, and I'm back at 29 minutes! I understand from posts on the web that this bizzarity is VERY COMMON, but there is no simple, obvious fix. Try this, try that, hope for this, pray for that. There must be ONE GOOD ANSWER. DO THIS AND IT SHALL WORK! Ideas, anyone?

Reaction score
Well, got it to work, sorta. Rebooted, and it immediately went into a "29 minutes left" countdown mode. When that reached "less than a minute left" it hung there for 25 minutes. This was different in the the disk kept chattering. In the first no-ending hold, the disk was silent., So the, after 25 minutes, boom!. the countdown clock suddenly restarted, with no "time left" listed. That went on for five minutes, when it finally completed, and I got to a login screen. I logged in, and it took a few minutes to do "optimization". Whew. Hey, Apple. That really sucks!

Reaction score
The specs for your Macmini6,1 indicate that the maximum OS is macOS 10.15.7 Catalina. Unless you used a third-party hack to install Monterey on it, which can cause problems, you should first try reinstalling Catalina to see if it will solve your problem.

That model originally came with OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Nope. MacMini late 2014 the ultimate OS is Monterey. That's well documented, and I have it now installed and working well. The machine was delivered to me with Catalina, but I updated to Monterey. The updater automatically pointed me at Monterey.

Reaction score
Nope. MacMini late 2014 the ultimate OS is Monterey. That's well documented, and I have it now installed and working well. The machine was delivered to me with Catalina, but I updated to Monterey. The updater automatically pointed me at Monterey.
You’re correct. I happened to mistakenly bring up the late 2012 model.

Ask a Question