Touch ID Not Working Sonoma 14.6 (unlocks slow)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm using an Macbook M2 Pro, and after upgrading to macOS Sonoma 14.6, I've encountered some performance problems. When I lock the screen, either by briefly pressing the power button or selecting "Lock Screen" from the Apple menu, the wallpaper appears instantly, but it can take up to 20 seconds for the date, time, and account icon to show up. During this delay, the fingerprint scanner and password entry are unresponsive.

Once the date, time, and account name finally appear, I can unlock my MacBook by either entering the password or using the fingerprint scanner. However, the fingerprint unlock option can take up to 10 seconds, often displaying a loading "circling dots" animation at the bottom of the screen. I've tried booting in Safe Mode, but the issues with locking and unlocking persist.

Can someone please help?

Cheers

Reaction score
Hey faethlerw,

Since you've already tried booting in Safe Mode without success, here are several additional steps and suggestions you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Resetting NVRAM/PRAM can resolve issues related to system settings.

• Shut down your Mac.
  • Turn it on and immediately press and hold Option + Command + P + R for about 20 seconds.
  • Release the keys and let your Mac continue to start up.

2. Check Login Items

Too many login items can slow down your Mac. Remove unnecessary login items.

• Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups.
  • Select your user account and click Login Items.
  • Select and remove any unnecessary items by clicking the - button.

3. Disable Unnecessary Extensions and Background Processes

Extensions and background processes can cause slowdowns. Disable or remove any unnecessary ones.

• In System Setting, search for Extensions and review the installed extensions.
  • Disable any unnecessary ones.

4. Rebuild Spotlight Index

A corrupted Spotlight index can cause performance issues.

• Open Terminal and enter the following command:

sudo mdutil -E /
  • This will erase and rebuild the Spotlight index.

5. Check Activity Monitor

Use Activity Monitor to identify any processes that are consuming excessive resources.

• Open Activity Monitor from Applications > Utilities.
  • Check the CPU and Memory tabs to identify any resource-hungry processes.
  • Quit or force quit any unnecessary processes.

6. Run First Aid in Disk Utility

Check for and repair any disk errors.

• Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
  • Select your startup disk and click First Aid.

7. Create a New User Account

Create a new user account to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is user-specific.

• Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups.
  • Click the lock to make changes, then click the + button to create a new user.

Let me know if it works.

srp

Reaction score
This is a common issue in corporate managed Macs. My home MacBook wakes instantly like usual. But most of us here a works with JAMF managed macs (with other tools installed by IT) wake in 20+ seconds after touching the touch reader.

Reaction score
This is a common issue in corporate managed Macs. My home MacBook wakes instantly like usual. But most of us here a works with JAMF managed macs (with other tools installed by IT) wake in 20+ seconds after touching the touch reader.
Same here, 30+ users which updated. We're blocking the update now until we figure this out.

Last edited:

Ask a Question