strange vnc behavior

Reaction score
I routinely use my 10.6.8 iMac to log into a 10.11 Mac Mini remotely. Usually, vnc works great with vnc:(e-mail address removed). But suddenly, it has started refusing my password. I type in my (correct) password, and I get "authentication failed". Duh, what? But then I do vnc:me:(e-mail address removed), and it works a treat.

What is going on????

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

-How are you accessing you mini via VNC...using a VNC app, Terminal, etc,?
-How are the Sharing preferences setup?
-Can you access it via the old way from another Mac?
-Are they at the same location, or at different ones - i.e. both at home, or one at home and the other at work/co-location facility?

C

Reaction score
I'm just using the El Capitan Mac Go->"Connect to Server". Screen Sharing, File Sharing, and Remote Login", with Access for "All users" are enabled on both machines. I should say that this is not a fixed problem. Sometimes I can't log on with vnc:(e-mail address removed) ,and sometimes I can. When I can't, the vnc command with the password always works. My client is at home, and the remote machine is at work.

Now, when vnc:(e-mail address removed) , does not work, I am asked for a password, which it does not accept. When it works, I'm not even asked for a password, which means it recognizes me.

Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that is strange. I have had some issues with password in El Capitan - not saving passwords to the keychain, repeatedly prompting for my iCloud password for a day, then not again for a week or so, always prompting for Screen Sharing passwords, even though they are saved in the keychain, etc.

Maybe it has something to do with System Integrity Protection, or another change in El Capitan...who knows.

At least it works sometimes, right? ;) Next time it doesn't, try restarting the Mac you are logging in from and see if it works then.

C

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll let you know if there are any changes or new insights. It's pretty simple just to bookmark vnc:me:(e-mail address removed) in "Connect to Server", of course, but then my password for the remote computer is viewable by anyone who is looking over my shoulder. Not a big deal, really.

Ask a Question