Spotlight Not Working After Latest Update

Reaction score
Since updating to Sonoma14.6.1 Spotlight rarely if ever works. I press the command and Spacebar but Spotlight doesn't appear. Maybe one out of every ten times Spotlight will pop-up. Is this a bug? Or is there a new shortcut for bringing up Spotlight?

Reaction score
Since updating to Sonoma14.6.1 Spotlight rarely if ever works. I press the command and Spacebar but Spotlight doesn't appear. Maybe one out of every ten times Spotlight will pop-up. Is this a bug? Or is there a new shortcut for bringing up Spotlight?
As far back as I can remember, the trigger had always been control-space. In any case, Spotlight in now linked with Siri and AI. Reindexing Spotlight might solve the problem. You can install the latest version of Onyx that’s compatible with Sonoma. There is a utility for resetting the Spotlight index. Or you may want to simply use Terminal to do it. I would first reboot into Safe Mode and then launch Terminal to enter the code:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Enter your admin password, press Return, and then restart normally. You may have to redefine Search results in System Settings as well as Search Privacy… It could take a while for indexing to finish.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Its definitely "Command/Spacebar". I'll see if I can look into your suggestions.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Its definitely "Command/Spacebar". I'll see if I can look into your suggestions.
Yes, I looked up the default keyboard combo for Spotlight and it’s indeed ⌘-space. I must have altered it years back, or it could be my customized Dvorak keyboard layout which I also created years ago. Heck, back in the day, when Dvorak was not available for any Apple device, I created my very own, using ResEdit. Remember? You probably don’t. 😅

In case you’re curious,

Screen Shot 2024-08-09 at 13.03.12.png

Reaction score
You may want to take a look at Alfred (https://www.alfredapp.com) its spotlight on steroids and in my opinion gives better results than spotlight.

What I did on my systems is that I remapped Spotlight to Control Space, then set Command Space for Alfred. I will never go back to using Spotlight.

Reaction score
You may want to take a look at Alfred (https://www.alfredapp.com) its spotlight on steroids and in my opinion gives better results than spotlight.

What I did on my systems is that I remapped Spotlight to Control Space, then set Command Space for Alfred. I will never go back to using Spotlight.
👍 for Alfred 5.5. I use Spotlight mostly for locating files on the Mac. Alfred has better access to online content.

Ask a Question