Sparse Bundle

Reaction score
I am having problems with my hard disk which is almost full. The problem seems to be a large sparse bundle which is taking up about 90% of my drive. Am I safe in trying to locate and delete this? My Time Machine backup system doesn't seem to work as it only shows me the current page, and doesn't allow me to go back to an earlier date. I am wary of doing anything that might cause a major problem, but I am worried that the whole system is going to lock up and cause me major problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Your internal drive is almost full, correct?
-If the sparse bundle is on your internal startup drive, then maybe Time Machine is backing up to it, instead of an external drive?
-Are you using an external drive for your Time Machine backups?
-Can you locate the sparse bundle on your drive? If so, where is it?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory

Thanks for responding. The info you asked for is:

21.5 inch iMac mid 2010
El Capitan
The drive capacity is 500GB - there is 2.74GB available
I am using an external drive for ™ backups
The sparse bundle appears on my HD/users/my name. Is shown as being on a "local volume"

Sorry I can't b more specific as to the location - as you have probably guessed I'm not too computer savvy!

Paul

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you either have FileVault enabled for your user or another user.

When you navigate to Macintosh HD > Users > Your Name does it have an icon like this:

filevault.jpg

-Is there more than one user on your Mac?

C

Reaction score
Hi

No - it has a picture of what looks like an external drive next to it.

I math only user. I do have Legacy FileVault enabled

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
This may end up being hard to diagnose over the Internet without being able to physically see the Mac's HD contents. Do you have an Apple Store close to you?

C

Reaction score
There is one in Birmingham - about 25 miles away. What would be the worst thing that could happen if I just deleted the sparse bundle?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If there is only one user and it is the sparse bundle, you won't be able to delete it. If you do, you could lose all the data contained in it and not be able to login to the computer.

FileVault is causing part of the disk space issue. I really think it would be best to have someone look at it hands-on.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...good luck.

Sorry about the trip, but I would rather you not lose anything and have someone help you in person.

C

Ask a Question