Sonoma 14.4.1 Issue Bad iMac Performance

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 and am experiencing significant slowdowns across my iMac. Opening applications takes forever, and there's noticeable latency on Zoom, akin to a call from the Moon. Even typing in Notepad is frustrating due to a delay matching keystrokes. I'm contemplating reverting back to Catalina, which my iMac originally came with in 2020, but I'm hesitant. Working on this machine has become a real challenge.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Needless to say that shouldn't happen on a 2020 iMac but Upgrading to Sonoma from Catalina is a big jump. Ideally incremental Upgrades are smoother and while skipping Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura should be fine it means a lot of changes to the Operating System most of which will happen after the upgrade has been applied via WiFi. That can take a while so it could take a few days for the system (depending on your WiFi network) to apply upgrades to native and third party apps.
Don't turn the device off for a day or two and let us know if the problem persists.

Ask a Question