sonoma 14.4.1 battery drain

Reaction score
Ever since updating my MacBook Pro with Sonoma 14.3 about a week ago, I've noticed a significant drop in battery life. Typically, I'm just using Chrome and my podcast app, but my battery has been draining unusually fast. For instance, in just 90 minutes, my battery plummeted from 100% to 38%. Also, when I leave my MacBook closed for a bit, say around 30% battery, I return to find it hot and the battery completely dead, despite it supposedly being in sleep mode. Additionally, I now need to press the power button to wake it up after just 10 minutes of sleep, and the fan seems to be working overtime. These issues only started after the Sonoma 14.3 update. My battery health appears normal, and I've even set it to low power mode on battery use. Activity Monitor only shows Chrome, the podcast app, and itself running. I've cleaned the fan, too. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Reaction score
Ever since updating my MacBook Pro with Sonoma 14.3 about a week ago, I've noticed a significant drop in battery life. Typically, I'm just using Chrome and my podcast app, but my battery has been draining unusually fast. For instance, in just 90 minutes, my battery plummeted from 100% to 38%. Also, when I leave my MacBook closed for a bit, say around 30% battery, I return to find it hot and the battery completely dead, despite it supposedly being in sleep mode. Additionally, I now need to press the power button to wake it up after just 10 minutes of sleep, and the fan seems to be working overtime. These issues only started after the Sonoma 14.3 update. My battery health appears normal, and I've even set it to low power mode on battery use. Activity Monitor only shows Chrome, the podcast app, and itself running. I've cleaned the fan, too. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
I’m wondering why you happened to install version 14.3 of Sonoma. How did you come by with that version? The current wide release is version 14.5 (23F79). There was no version 14.3.0 outside of beta. 14.3.1 was then updated to 14.4.

Did you use System Settings > General > Software Update to update Sonoma? I recommend installing it from System Settings, or from Recovery. You can also get it from the App Store, and I’m sure all of them will bring up version 14.5.

Reaction score
Yes, I am experiencing something similar, had not connected it to Sonoma. I have 14.4. The fan starts to run constantly, loudly, and if the computer goes to sleep, I have to press the power button to get the screen back. When I called a Mac repair shop, they said to keep the computer unplugged as much as possible, so I started to do that and it was okay for a while, but now the problem is back. Right now, the fan is loud, and I know I'll have to keep pressing the power button. What to do?

Reaction score
Yes, I am experiencing something similar, had not connected it to Sonoma. I have 14.4. The fan starts to run constantly, loudly, and if the computer goes to sleep, I have to press the power button to get the screen back. When I called a Mac repair shop, they said to keep the computer unplugged as much as possible, so I started to do that and it was okay for a while, but now the problem is back. Right now, the fan is loud, and I know I'll have to keep pressing the power button. What to do?
Again, if memory serves me right, 14.4 was a buggy version. Not long after it was issued, 14.4.1 came out—apparently a quick fix to some more bugs in 14.4, so try to update to at least 14.4.1, or better yet, 14.5. To find out what Apple has made available for download, use Terminal to check. You will find the app here:

/System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Launch Terminal and type in this code:

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

240519 terminal screenshot.png

You will get a list of macOS installers that your particular Mac can run. In this example, I wanted to get the latest update to Monterey, (12.7.5) which is the oldest version that my Mac can run. So you can choose which version you need, and then enter,

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.5

to start downloading macOS Sonoma 14.5 (23F79). Enter your admin password and the download to your /Applications folder will start. When finished it will not launch automatically. You need to quit and launch the installer when you are ready. Ready, meaning, after a complete backup, and if possible, a reboot into Safe Mode.

If you are allergic to Terminal, you can use the App Store to get it.

Reaction score
I had upgraded sometime back and downgraded due to battery drain.
Is 14.5 ok without battery drain? Someone confirm before I try again.
Just cautious

Ask a Question