Share printer on windows 11 not working

Reaction score
A have a problem with printer sharing from a windows 11 machine. Because the problem does not exist on a windows machine I guess it’s a MacBook issue.

I have a printer (canon MF633C/635C) as network printer with its own ip-adress. Because I don’t use the printer very often, it’s mostly shut down from the power. If a print task shows up in the printer queue on de windows pc, the printer is switched on via HomeAssistant.

I also use a MacBook laptop from where I sometimes need the printer.
So I need to share the printer with a MacBook in order to switch the printer on.

I first started the windows pc on windows 10, installed the printer, shared it and that works without any problem.
After that I did then upgrade to windows 11 and the Mac cannot reach the printer anymore. On the print queue it say’s “unable to connect to printer”.

When trying to add a printer via “add printer” / “windows” option, the workgroup shows up, including the windows 11 pc and the shared printer.

Add the printer via the advanced button as smb://servername/printername the same happens.

Printing from an old windows 10 pc to the shared printer is working well, so in principle I would say that the sharing is ok.

Tried all kind of things: change different share-settings, enable/disable firewall. Nothing helps.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Ask a Question