set up Apple Watch without updating to WatchOS 10.5

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up my new Apple Watch Series 8, but it's forcing me to update to WatchOS 10.5. I don't really need the new features or faces and would prefer to skip the update. The download time for WatchOS 10.5 is stuck on "About 1 hour remaining," even though my WiFi and Bluetooth are working fine. I have an iPhone 10 with the latest iOS. Is there any way to skip the update and set up my Watch with the OS it came with out of the box?

Reaction score
Hey it is insane you wrote this today. I just got a new watch too. Trying to pair with iPhone 12 pro. But my issue is that I can't set up without the update, but the update is stuck in some loop. Says installing etc and once the timer runs out it is like I never clicked "install". Hope someone can help

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Apple typically requires that new Apple Watches be set up with the latest available WatchOS version to ensure compatibility with the latest iOS on your iPhone. However, there are a few steps you can try to potentially expedite the process or see if you can bypass the update:

Steps to Expedite or Bypass the Update​

1. Check Your Internet Connection:
    • Ensure your WiFi connection is stable and strong. Sometimes moving closer to the router can help improve the connection speed.
  2. Restart Devices:
    • Restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch to clear any temporary issues that might be affecting the update process.
  3. Set Up as New, Then Update:
    • Try setting up your Apple Watch as a new device without restoring from a backup. This sometimes allows the setup to complete without the immediate update prompt.
    • After the initial setup, you may be prompted to update the WatchOS. At that point, you can choose a more convenient time to do so.
  4. Cancel and Retry the Update:
    • If the update is stuck, cancel it and try again.
    • Go to the Watch app on your iPhone, find the update in progress, and cancel it. Then restart the update process.

Detailed Steps to Cancel and Retry​

1. Cancel Update:
    • Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
    • Go to My Watch > General > Software Update.
    • If the update is stuck, there should be an option to cancel it.
  2. Restart Devices:
    • Restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch after canceling the update.
  3. Retry Setup:
    • Attempt to set up your Apple Watch again. Sometimes, retrying the process can resolve issues with stuck updates.

Patience and Updates​

• Update Times:
    • Sometimes updates can take longer than expected, especially if Apple's servers are busy. Ensure your devices are left uninterrupted during the update process.

If all else fails​

If the WatchOS update is necessary and you cannot bypass it, your best option might be to leave your devices to complete the update. While it's frustrating, ensuring both your Apple Watch and iPhone are up-to-date is essential for compatibility and security.

Ask a Question