Sequoia Remove Blue Cursor With Terminal

Reaction score
does anyone know how to do this?

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 12.05.31 PM.png

Reaction score
I'm a bit puzzled. How did you get the above window? It's not how terminal looks on my MBP in Sequoia. Mine looks like a typical DOS window with a grey block (insertion point) where the cursor would be just after the device ID, eg

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 08.17.33.png

Reaction score
Ahh, I understand. Is it the colour you don't like? I mean if it's an active window you can't remove it unless you click outside it (making it inactive). If it's the colour that's another thing.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Reaction score
i was simply moving the conversation along so my thread doesnt die with the responses left

there is now a blue cursor for mac after Sequoia, not in terminal, theres no setting to change it. i would like to remove it(change it back to a normal cursor) with terminal if anyone knows how

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 9.16.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 9.16.21 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Sorry I misread your question...not IN the Terminal application, but changing the default macOS cursor using Terminal, correct?

I am not aware of a way to change personally, as macOS Sonoma also has the same blue cursor, at least in the latest 14.7 version. I honestly don't remember when it changed to blue from the gray it was in previous versions.

If I come across a command or utility application that can change it, I will let you know.

C

Reaction score
It can be changed in System Settings - Appearance. Use the pulldown for Highlight color. Unfortunately its a system wide change.

Reaction score
Yes, if it's the colour you wish to change that can be done un Accent Colour in Settings > Appearance > Highlight Colour as below;

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 10.46.33.png

Changing the above also changes the colour of the cursor although to give it it's proper name it's really the Insertion Point Marker, whereas a "Cursor" can look, depending on the situation, like any of the below on a Mac.

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 11.04.47.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
i just wanna get rid of the new feature, im not interested in changing the color

i have a code to remove the newer caps lock blue thing, i would think its quite simiiar if anyone can make anything of it

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Reaction score
I read a post on how to do this, I have NOT tried it myself, as I am happy with it as is.

• Open up your Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  • Paste this in:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO
  • Terminal will ask for your password. This is your Mac account/user password.
  • Reboot your machine.
Hope that works for you.

Ask a Question