Replacement ssd

Reaction score
[IMG alt="denniscampbell"]https://www.mac-forums.com/data/avatars/m/362/362112.jpg?1659004100[/IMG]

denniscampbell

member_badge.gif

Joined Oct 23, 2015 Messages 260 Reaction score 2 Points 18
21.5 late 2015 imac: replacing hd and fan .....have fan already an am looking for a good internal ssd, 500 - 1tb, have used sony for external ssd but would like something more dependable ...keeping the mac / Mojave for
the complete cs6 photo shop with all the filters and a new mother board that has less than 2 years use

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.....got a another super technical message about trim and the different pitfalls
in choosing the correct internal ssd, myself a semi literate long time apple user, the complete understanding
escaped me but was enough to confuse, will the Samsung SATA SSD be adequate with the late 2015
running Mojave and if sold would the i mac be a ticking problem....thanks

Reaction score
Yes, the Samsung SSD will be compatible with the iMac, or if you want faster storage then you can get a flash storage upgrade. If you are going to open up the iMac to install an SSD then I would also recommend maxing out the ram.

Take a look at this page which gives you more options to upgrade the storage in your iMac. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-21.5-inch/2013-2019. You may be better off getting a replacement SSD from OWC since they are designed for the Mac specifically.

You can enable trim on the SSD via the terminal and I would recommend doing so.

As far as selling the iMac... If you are thinking of selling the iMac then I wouldn't do any upgrades since you wont get your money back.
By default the latest version of macOS on your iMac is 10.15 which apple no longer supports. And if you patch the Mac for a newer OS then the person that would buy the iMac from you most likely would not know what to do when software updates are available.

Reaction score
the only use for this mac is the photoshop, been storing books movies on hd and booting externaly
have m1 and m2 machines and the speed is addicting...... update costs are not as important as long as the machine is trouble free for the next user ......thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
You should be fine for passing down the machine if you do any upgrades. I always find it amazing how fast a computer seems after replacing a spinning drive with an SSD.

Ask a Question