Reinstall Lion OS X 10.7 on MacBook 2010

Reaction score
Hi all,

I received an older MacBook from 2010 recently. I needed to swap the battery because it was swollen, and got a new charger.

It starts up, but then shows a folder with question mark. It appears the OS has been erased.
I can get into recovery mode, where I have the option to reinstall Lion OS X 10.7, but it does not work. It gives an error and says to try again restarting the application, but to no avail.

Disk utility shows me a "disk1" with a base Mac OS, and empty SSD (which I suppose is the startup disk).

How can I get this - still nice looking - MacBook to work again like it did?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I received an older MacBook from 2010 recently. I needed to swap the battery because it was swollen, and got a new charger.

It starts up, but then shows a folder with question mark. It appears the OS has been erased.
I can get into recovery mode, where I have the option to reinstall Lion OS X 10.7, but it does not work. It gives an error and says to try again restarting the application, but to no avail.

Disk utility shows me a "disk1" with a base Mac OS, and empty SSD (which I suppose is the startup disk).

How can I get this - still nice looking - MacBook to work again like it did?

Thanks!
If you are able to boot into Recovery, try running Disk Utility first, erase and then reformat the internal SSD—at this level, as HFS+, I a--uwe. Afterwards, try installing OS X again. It should provide you with the highest level system software that your Mac will handle.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
I am not fully sure what to do in disk utlity though.. here are a couple of screen images what I can see

Attachments

• 20240909_220534.jpg
    20240909_220534.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240909_220815.jpg
    20240909_220815.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
I am not fully sure what to do in disk utlity though.. here are a couple of screen images what I can see
Just click on “Macintosh HD” close to where you had the cursor, then click on Erase on the right pane. If the name field remains untitled, type in Macintosh HD and click on the Erase button below it.

Reaction score
Once you have erased the Macintosh HD reinstall MacOS should be an option in the original window. It will require an internet network, enter the details for that then in should connect to network recovery. This can be quite slow, may take several hours to complete and it can drop out but usually if you persist it will eventually instal a new MacOS, quite likely High Sierra.

Ask a Question