Pro Display XDR Troubleshooting - Works with iPhone / iPad but not MacBook Pro M1 Pro?!

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to fall into possession of a "broken" Pro Display XDR. It has some strange behaviors and I wonder if any of you have encountered these issues before and how you remedied it.

1) My 2021, 14-inch Macbook Pro M1 Pro, does not connect or receive power when plugged into the display's thunderbolt port. However, there is power transfer to the Macbook with all of the other ports when the Thunderbolt 3 cable is not plugged into my Macbook. 2) When using the Thunderbolt port, the display powers on, connects, and functions with my iPhone 15 Pro Max and iPad Air (4th gen).

I'd love to get this thing up and running with my Macbook, but haven't been able to find a solution. Any tips? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi there,

In the future, please do not bump a post. It will stay as unread until someone responds.

When you say that its broken, what do you mean?

To expand on 1 thing in your post. If you plug your AC power supply into your MacBook Pro so that it is charging, if you then, plug in the XDR display are you saying that it stops charging?

Also have you tried a different thunderbolt 4 cable. You may want to make sure that the thunderbolt cable is rated for 40GB and 100W. Not all thunderbolt cables are the same.

Reaction score
Oddly, it works with your iPhone and iPad but not the MacBook Pro. One thing you might try is checking the cable compatibility to ensure you’re using a high-quality Thunderbolt 3 cable. Sometimes, cables can be finicky with high-end displays. Also, make sure both your MacBook Pro and the display have the latest updates. Another tip is to reset the SMC and NVRAM on your MacBook, as sometimes a reset can solve weird connection issues on Macs.

Ask a Question