Pointer/Up Down arrow question

Reaction score
I'm not even sure how to word my question to google an answer properly (I tried several times with no luck).

On the photo I am attaching, you will see 2 stars.

While you can't see the 2nd scroll bar (at the far right edge), it is there.

On the website displayed, when you jump down to comments, a window opens within the window already there with it's own scrollbar.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to change my computer settings so that when I click in the secondary window, I can use my up and down keys. I can scroll with the bar there, but I can't grab it at the top cleanly, it is always hidden up there, so you have to click on the scroll bar showing to force the top notch down and jack around before you can see the top text, and even then it is clumsy trying to scroll with the bar.

If I apply my up and down keys while in the secondary window, it moves the primary page (where you can see the sidebars in my photo) up and down.

This has never happened to me on my other Macbooks, if I clicked in the secondary window on those laptops the up and down keys applied to that area perfect. I've gone through the various settings a million times and can't find any options that seem related to what I am looking to resolve. Mostly it's all shortcuts. I've tried accessibility, trackpad, keyboard.

I will be eternally grateful if someone can help!

PS if you can't see my picture, let me know. I kept getting errors the file was too big up to the point I shrunk it down to the size in my attachment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-28 at 1.02.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-28 at 1.02.59 AM.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
As a follow up question to my question above:

1. I opened Firefox on the laptop I am asking you for help on, and when I use my up and down keys in Firefox they function fine
2. In Chrome if I use my arrow keys, I see that it is highlighting each object as I push the arrow key. (in addition to not letting me click on a page and use the arrow keys in that area of the page - the original problem I asked about).

Is this just how Chrome is?

I bought a preowned MacBook and the seller told me to use Chrome when the laptop they sold me was revving and heating in Firefox and Safari (the 2 browsers I previously used to browse on my other laptops with no issues - I mean, I always thought Safari was MacBook specific and was surprised to be told not to use it because Chrome works better on MacBooks).

So I don't have a ton of experience using Chrome on a Macbook.

I mean, is this arrow behavior and the part where me clicking on an area of a page and not having the arrow keys register that I am on that page so I can use them just nuances of Chrome that I'll need to learn to live with?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
One thing that you can check are your System settings for the scroll bars.

On macOS Ventura and later open your System Settings (It should open to the Appearance Settings) and where it says Scroll Bars select the box that says Always.

On earlier versions of macOS go to your System Preferences and then go to General. Where it says Scroll Bars select the box that says Always.

This may not get the Up and Down keys to work, but it will show the scroll bars all the time and you should be able to select them to scroll.

Reaction score
I've had similar experiences where Chrome behaves differently than other browsers, especially on MacBooks. One thing you might want to try is checking Chrome's settings. Sometimes, tweaking a few options can make a big difference. Head to Chrome's settings by clicking on the three dots in the top-right corner and selecting Settings. Scroll down and click on Advanced to expand more options. Under the System section, see if there's an option related to hardware acceleration. Try toggling it off if it’s on (or vice versa) and see if that helps. Also, since you mentioned your up and down keys highlight objects instead of scrolling, it sounds like "Caret Browsing" might be enabled. You can toggle this off by pressing F7 in Chrome. If you still prefer using Safari or Firefox (since they worked well for you before), it might be worth revisiting them and addressing the heating issue separately. Clearing the cache or updating the browser can sometimes help with performance issues.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the quick guidance (I didn't expect answers so quick!).

The Caret Browsing is fixed, thank you so much!!!!! Holy annoying. I'd never heard the term. It doesn't jump anymore.

I found a setting "Use graphics acceleration when available" under System (in Chrome settings) but nothing for hardware (see attached image). There was also the option to open the proxy settings, but when I opened them I didn't see much that I could do within there.

And I did double check that the scroll bars were set to "Always".

The issue with not being able to use the arrows in the secondary area must be just at matter of Chrome not having that functionality. Given I've always used Safari and Firefox on my other MacBooks, I have never encountered the issue.

I've gone through the computer and Chrome settings so many times, and there are so few scroll bar settings I don't see how any of them could be related to what I am having issues doing (especially since it's not an issue in Safari).

Thank you again, I am so appreciative of you both taking time out of your day to try and help me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-07-02 at 8.04.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-02 at 8.04.30 PM.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question