Out of application memory

Reaction score
8GB M2 Sonoma 14.5 quite often suggests I force quit news. Never did so before a couple of weeks ago. Activity monitor shows a process "deleted" running using 80% of CPU. Is that an issue? I did delete an Epson app called ink reminder a few days ago, but this problem preceeded that. Is there something else I should check, or just stop the process called deleted from running? Restart of system made no difference. Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
8GB M2 Sonoma 14.5 quite often suggests I force quit news. Never did so before a couple of weeks ago. Activity monitor shows a process "deleted" running using 80% of CPU. Is that an issue? I did delete an Epson app called ink reminder a few days ago, but this problem preceeded that. Is there something else I should check, or just stop the process called deleted from running? Restart of system made no difference. Thanks for any suggestions!
The “deleted” process in macOS is involved in clearing the system cache files located in ~/Library/Caches. The usual cure if the cache is not being cleared is simply resetting the SMC. For silicon Macs this is accomplished by simply shutting down and restarting, but I suggest doing the reset at least three times in a row. But before doing this, check and make a note of the size of your cache folder. From Finder, press ⌘⇧G and enter “~/Library/Caches” (without the quotes, of course) and press return. When the Caches folder opens, just do a Get Info, make a note on the size so that you can compare the sizes before and after you have performed the SMC resets.

If nothing changed, you might want to try deleting some of the cached files—the ones that you think could be problematic. I would not trash all of them simply because it might slow you down from the system trying to rebuild them. If I remember correctly, Onyx can directly clear the caches but I can’t test it right now because they haven’t issued a version yet that works with Sequoia.

Ask a Question