New i mac, printer and hardware issues

Reaction score
Bought new iMac and a hub so I can connect my printer and other items via usb. In system settings/printers and scanners/add printer it sees the connection but the list of software available is about 10 items most are label printers. I have downloaded the Brother drivers and Brother iPrintandScan in downloads but they are greyed out and I cannot open them. Have had 9 years with a MacBook without any issues. Although it does not recognise the printer I can print from a pdf so the printer is connected and working. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Having used and recommending Brother Printers for years They usually just work.

You shouldn't need to download or install any any software to setup your printer.

In the System Settings If you don't see the printer listed then select Add Printer. You should see your printer in the list and select it. On the bottom you should see the name of the printer and the Use section, That should be the series of the printer. If you are connected wirelessly you can also select AirPrint. either will work.

If your Printer has a scanner in it, rather than installing any software you can use Image Capture to scan documents.

Reaction score
Hi MacsBug, Thanks for your reply. When I click Add Printer a box comes up with the printer name in a table. I can highlight the printer but then it asks me to choose a Driver. Clicking the down arrow here gives me another box with Select Software or Other to choose from. Selecting Software gives me the list I described above and selecting Other takes me to a greyed out screen that nothing opens from. Pretty stumped really, probably going to buy a new 2024 Brother printer/scanner/copier but would prefer not to as I have 2 Brother MFC-L2700DW here and a load of cartridges. I can print if in pdf format but used to be able to print anything when my 2015 MacBook was connected.

Ask a Question