My iMac is banjaxed!

Reaction score
A family member has messed about with my iMac which is 2009 vintage, originally with Snow Leopard, updated to High Sierra. I use it mainly as an archive, plus I like the quality of the hardware. Anyway, I want to continue using it as long as possible.

The said family member has somehow deleted all the programs and some essential utilities. I have Internet, but no Airport or Bluetooth. The Magic Keyboard and Mouse are not recognised. Time Machine flashes amber continuously. I cannot access system settings. I cannot log in

The system boots up using a wired keyboard and mouse, but The Safe Mode key shortcut does not work and neither do any of the other shortcuts. Only the MAC OS Utility screen appears. The option to reinstall High Sierra returns a ‘server unavailable’ error. The Time Machine option finds a backup, but it doesn’t load because the amber light persists. I have the original Startup disk, but although the reinstall works it fails halfway with a ‘Support files could not be loaded’ error.

I have a recent MacBook Pro, so I tried to temporarily download a High Sierra installer on to a flash drive, but the system just tells me it is not compatible with the MacBook.

I have verified/repaired the HDD and disk image in Disk Utility and they are both OK. The contents of the disk comprise only a ‘OSX Base System’ image of 2GB.

I entered the Terminal command to check software updates and got ‘command not found’. I’m thwarted at every turn. How to get out of this fix? Any ideas would be warmly welcomed.

Reaction score
The OS X Base system is the Recovery HD. You may want to try and boot your Mac while holding down the Option Key and see if you can select the main drive to boot from.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. The options key works, but the boot process always takes me to MACOS Utilities, and none of the options there work successfully. I think I need a bootable version of High Sierra, but I don't have sufficient skill to make one. Does anyone know where I can buy a retail DVD?

Ask a Question