Mohave to Monterey didn't load

Reaction score
Tiried to upgrade on a Mac Air 2017 from Mohave to Monterrey. Window showed downloaded 12.14 G downloaded of 12.41, but blue bar was not at end and Monterrey never appeared AND, it ate up the 12.41G. How do I delete partial download and restore my lost Gigs?

Reaction score
Tiried to upgrade on a Mac Air 2017 from Mohave to Monterrey. Window showed downloaded 12.14 G downloaded of 12.41, but blue bar was not at end and Monterrey never appeared AND, it ate up the 12.41G. How do I delete partial download and restore my lost Gigs?
The update fail was probably from a bad internet connection and was aborted. You don’t have to worry about removing the partial installation if you can do the upgrade all over, and as long as you have a reasonable amount of free space on your system drive. The best way to do this is to download the installer and then perform it, not from Recovery but from the system running normally, or preferably in Safe Mode.

You can download the installer through the App Store or Terminal. Once you have the installer downloaded, reboot in Safe Mode and simply launch the installer app (in your Applications folder). Of course, you best insurance is to have an up-to-date Time Machine backup. Let us know if you need assistance downloading the installer from the App Store or Terminal.

Reaction score
Just to follow on from that, when you successfully do manage to upgrade to Monterey it will erase both the successful and partial copy of the installer.

Reaction score
By the way, what is your Mac’s make and model? If the maximum macOS version is Monterey, you should be able to boot into recovery and reinstall macOS. It will present you with the newest version that your Mac can run on. You can then install the latest version by default.

Ask a Question