Messages App Freezing and Crashing on iOS 17.5.1

Reaction score
Ever since updating to iOS 17.5.1 a few days ago, both my daughter's and my Messages app have become almost unusable. When we open the app, it usually displays a blank black screen, and our only options are to either force close it or wait for it to crash on its own. On the rare occasion it does work, it only lasts for a couple of minutes before crashing again. We've tried resetting all settings and restarting our phones multiple times, but nothing seems to fix the issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem with iOS 17.5.1 and found a solution?

Reaction score
Same with a 14 pro max. I called Apple and they said it’s not a known issue. I went on Reddit and immediately found threads with the same issue. I have gone as far as factory resetting my phone and it worked for 4 days then started again. According to Reddit, delete the YouTube app on your phone. I tried it and so far my messages app is working (but it was working briefly when I rebooted my phone just before then). Still, hopefully it’s just a Google compatibility issue.

Reaction score
Ever since updating to iOS 17.5.1 a few days ago, both my daughter's and my Messages app have become almost unusable. When we open the app, it usually displays a blank black screen, and our only options are to either force close it or wait for it to crash on its own. On the rare occasion it does work, it only lasts for a couple of minutes before crashing again. We've tried resetting all settings and restarting our phones multiple times, but nothing seems to fix the issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem with iOS 17.5.1 and found a solution?
Yes, having the same exact issue. Tried a number of trouble-shooting steps with Apple Support with no success. Still trying to resolve.

Reaction score
Hi there,

It sounds like you're having a tough time with the Messages app on iOS 17.5.1. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Free Up Storage Space: Lack of storage can sometimes cause apps to malfunction. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage to check your available space and free up some if necessary.
  2. Reinstall the Messages App: Though Messages is a built-in app, you can try reinstalling it. Long-press the Messages app icon until it jiggles, then tap the 'X' to delete it. Go to the App Store and reinstall Messages.
  3. Disable iMessage and Re-enable It: Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage. Restart your phone and then turn iMessage back on.
  4. Check for Large Message Threads: Large message threads with lots of media can sometimes cause the app to crash. If you can manage to open the app, try deleting some old message threads or media-heavy conversations.
  5. Factory Reset: As a last resort, you can back up your data and perform a factory reset. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. After the reset, restore your backup.
  6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, it might be an issue that Apple needs to address. Contact Apple Support for further assistance.
Hopefully, one of these solutions will get your Messages app working properly again. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Yes, having the same exact issue. Tried a number of trouble-shooting steps with Apple Support with no success. Still trying to resolve.
yes I am having the exact same issue. So far none the recommended 'fixes' are working.

Reaction score
yes I am having the exact same issue. So far none the recommended 'fixes' are working. Further to this, if I go to Messages configuration under Settings it just locks up. This means some of the fixes are not possible. This is a really frustrating issue with iPhone.

Ask a Question