MacOS Ventura no long can find start up disk

Reaction score
Tried to run apple diagnostics the other day and later tried to boot my iMac (2017 27”) just to find that it boots to a question mark. I’ve tried booting into safe mode but it won’t. Tried booting into recovery mode Command R and then tried Option Command . Ran disk utility to repair what disks it showed and also tried to reinstall OS but then is not a target disk to select. Unfortunately I didn’t have a current backup of my computer and can’t access it now.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

Reaction score
Tried to run apple diagnostics the other day and later tried to boot my iMac (2017 27”) just to find that it boots to a question mark. I’ve tried booting into safe mode but it won’t. Tried booting into recovery mode Command R and then tried Option Command . Ran disk utility to repair what disks it showed and also tried to reinstall OS but then is not a target disk to select. Unfortunately I didn’t have a current backup of my computer and can’t access it now.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
That really sucks that you don’t have backup to recover from. What I suggest is to connect an external drive to the iMac, reboot into recovery (command-R), launch Disk Utility and format the external drive, and then try to install macOS onto it, instead of the internal drive. If this works, try first to migrate the data from your internal drive to the new system. The information might still be intact in spite of the damaged system.

If you are able to get over this part, next thing to seriously consider is getting more external drives for Time Machine. I have three of them, each 12 terabytes capacity. And that’s not even accounting for the clones I maintain using Carbon Copy Cloner.

By the way, your iMac should be capable of running macOS Ventura 13.7, Build: 22H123.

Last edited:

Ask a Question