MacBook Pro Running Sonoma Reverting to Wrong Date & Time

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 15" 2018 MacBook Pro. Since upgrading to macOS 14.1.1, the date and time keep reverting to February 2022. I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but it hasn't helped. Using Terminal with "sudo sntp -Ss time.apple.com" sets the clock correctly, but it still resets to February 2022 later on.

For now, I've turned off "Set date & time automatically" in System Settings, which keeps the time correct. However, I'd prefer to have the time set automatically to avoid manual adjustments. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 15" 2018 MacBook Pro. Since upgrading to macOS 14.1.1, the date and time keep reverting to February 2022. I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but it hasn't helped. Using Terminal with "sudo sntp -Ss time.apple.com" sets the clock correctly, but it still resets to February 2022 later on.

For now, I've turned off "Set date & time automatically" in System Settings, which keeps the time correct. However, I'd prefer to have the time set automatically to avoid manual adjustments. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!
In System Settings > General > Date & Time, make sure “Set time and date automatically” is switched ON. Then click Set… and select the Default time server. If that does not seem to connect to the server of your choice, or to the one that works, then your macOS installation could be damaged. I noticed that you are running Sonoma 14.1.1. That came out November of last year, and updates have been issued since. The latest one is 14.5 (23F79) and I think this is the best version of Sonoma to date. I recommend updating.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, Tony!
I appreciate the advice. I did double-check that "Set time and date automatically" is switched on in System Settings, and I've tried setting it to the default time server. Unfortunately, it still reverts back to February 2022.
I guess I'll go ahead and update to the latest version (14.5) as you suggested. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue. I'll report back with the results once I've updated. Cheers

Ask a Question