Macbook Clamsheel Mode Monitor Issue

Reaction score
Hi, pretty new to Mac. I have a Macbook running Sonoma in clamshell mode. I have a couple of monitors attached, external HD and various USB stuff.
Problem is that about 40% of the time when I press the sleep key (wireless ID keyboard) the monitors will stay on and show no signal. The rest of the time they turn off correctly. I am using a Kensington SD700t hub to connect everything. Some times the blue light to show a connection to the Macbook also goes off. I have to then open up Macbook and use the Macbook power button to get going again. It seems this is random.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
I have a similar setup...

When you put your Mac to sleep the monitors many time can show No Signal, and then go into sleep in about 30 seconds. This is normal behavior for some monitors. There may be a setting in the monitor to turn off the No Signal warning.

When your Mac is sleeping, you should be able to tap the space bar on the keyboard to wake it. Then once it's awake tap the TouchID to bring up the desktop. You shouldn't need to open the lid to wake it from sleep.

I use a SonnetTech dock and the blue light on it goes out when the Mac is sleeping, And then comes back once I tap the keyboard.

On my system rather than tapping the TouchID to put the Mac to sleep I have a hot corner setup to turn off my displays, and my prefs set to put the computer to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. I find that easier so when running some software I can let it run in the background and the displays are off.

Ask a Question