MacBook Air M1 Charging Issue - Seeking Advice on Data Recovery

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I recently ran into an issue with my MacBook Air M1 where it suddenly stopped charging. I initially thought it might be a problem with the charger or cable, so I brought it to an independent repair shop to see if they could help.
The repair guy opened up the MacBook and said he would try replacing a piece next to the charger port called "CD3217." He mentioned something about it possibly being a voltage supply issue affecting the MacBook. After fitting the new piece, he tested it out, but unfortunately, the MacBook still didn’t charge or power on.
Now, for a bit of background on what might have contributed to this problem: I used to charge my MacBook with a white cable, which I later found out was faulty. I then bought a new charging cable from a different brand, and I’m wondering if using that new cable could have caused some of these charging issues. Has anyone had a similar experience where using a non-Apple charger led to problems like this?
At this point, I’m not overly concerned about fixing the MacBook itself. What I really need is to recover the data on my desktop. That’s my main priority right now. I’m just not sure what the best course of action is from here.
My question is: can I still take my MacBook to an Apple Store for repair or data recovery after it’s been opened and worked on by an independent repair shop? I know Apple can be strict about tampering with the device, so I’d appreciate any advice or similar experiences. Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question