Internet sporadically fails on home wifi

Reaction score
The internet on my laptop randomly is suspended, so that pages will not load even though my wireless symbol says I am connected. Restarting the application did not work; only solution I've found is to re-start the computer and then the internet will be working again, until suddenly it's not.

This only happens when I am on my home wireless network. What's going on?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you try restarting your Router … this can often clean up issues like this, just power down for min of 30 seconds then restart it.

Reaction score
I haven't, but the problem has to originate from my own computer. None of my roommates have any problems on the home network.

Reaction score
Hi,

How many devices in the house are accessing the internet when this happens?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
To add to oldscribe's question...make sure you include devices such as phones, tablets, game consoles, video streaming devices, etc. in addition to portable/desktop computers.

;)

C

Reaction score
It varies. Sometimes it has happened when my laptop is actually the only device, but also when my roommates are on their laptops(3)/phones(3)/desktops(2)/tablets(2). None of those devices are on when they are not home.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Depending on your network, it could be an issue with how the router is handing out/releasing IP addresses. You could try changing your IP address to a static number instead of using DHCP.

It could also be a signal strength issue. Are you closer or farther from the router in comparison to your roommates?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

This only happens when I am on my home wireless network
This defiantly points to your ISPs hardware (router etc ) as Cory said.
Also most home networks only supply/ support 5 devices after that connections gets a little flaky depending on how close you are to the unit.

Ask a Question