IMac Mid 2011 Graphics Card

Reaction score
Notorious for cards going bad on these machines, mine once again just failed. I ordered the original AMD 6970M 1gig Card used. I literally just came across the paperwork for the Warranty Work that was done and see now they had upgraded and installed the 2gb card.
Will this 1gb still work? If I bought a 2gb card which seems more readily available, would it be plug and play as I am changing like for like, or does some magic have to be done by Apple for the 2bg card to work?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
The 1GB card should technically work, but you might notice a drop in performance compared to the 2GB card. If you opt for a 2GB card, it should be mostly plug and play, especially since you’re swapping like for like. Just make sure the card is compatible with your machine model. Sometimes, updating drivers or firmware might be needed, but usually, it’s straightforward.

Ask a Question