IMac Help Needed - Unable to wipe and start again

Reaction score
Hi, Have inherited a mac from a family member but the details to log in are no longer available/retrievable so trying to wipe and start again.. but when I use utils none of the options work... have downloaded a bootable drive on my macbook , then stuck that on a USB to try that way but it didn't work, when I try via utils recovery its saying its unable to dismount a disk. Have used terminal to try and get round that but still doesn't work.. have run out of ideas now. Not fussed about loosing any data/accounts.

I think its been left alone for some time, its a 27" version but I suspect its quite an old machine.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
When you boot into recovery what OS does it show to reinstall? This will determine what you need to do to get an installer that works,

Also when in recovery, if its an older Mac then you should be able to change the password. You do this by opening the Terminal under the Utilities menu, and then typing in resetpassword into the terminal. The password reset utility will then launch and you can change the login password.

Reaction score
Lion 10.7, added that to my usb but doesn't seem to use it as a bootable drive.

have tried via utils - reinstall Mac OS X and it gives me 2 options 1. my usb and 2 recovery hd which it says is locked, if I use the usb it carries one the process for a minute or two then says 'can't download the additional components needed top install Mac OS x'

password reset - tried that and all the options were greyed out

when I turn off the Mac and then turn it back on I just get the utils screen now, so not sure if I need to do anything for it to recognise the bootable drive?

thanks for the help btw missed that from my last post.

Ask a Question