How to Fix AirPods Pro Static Noise in One Ear Quickly

Experiencing static noise in one ear of your AirPods Pro can be frustrating. Here are some quick fixes to help you resolve this issue.

1: Reset Your AirPods​

1. Place your AirPods in their charging case and close the lid.
  2. Wait for 30 seconds.
  3. Open the lid of the charging case.
  4. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth.
  5. Tap the "i" icon next to your AirPods, then tap "Forget This Device" and confirm.
  6. With the lid of the charging case open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds until the status light flashes amber, then white.
  7. Reconnect your AirPods by bringing them close to your iPhone and following the on-screen instructions.
Resetting your AirPods can resolve software glitches that might be causing the static noise, effectively giving them a fresh start.

2: Update Your Firmware and Device​

1. Ensure your iPhone or iPad is running the latest iOS version by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Connect your AirPods to your device.
  3. Place your AirPods in the charging case and close the lid.
  4. Connect the charging case to a power source using the Lightning cable.
  5. Keep the AirPods near your iPhone or iPad and ensure it has an active internet connection to automatically update the firmware.
Updating your device's and AirPods' firmware can fix any bugs that might be causing the static noise.

3: Clean Your AirPods​

1. Remove the ear tips from your AirPods Pro.
  2. Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth to clean the outside of the AirPods Pro.
  3. Clean the microphone and speaker meshes with a dry cotton swab.
  4. Ensure the charging ports are free of debris.
  5. Reattach the ear tips and ensure they are securely fastened.
Cleaning your AirPods can improve sound quality by removing any blockages caused by earwax or dust.

4: Turn Off Noise Cancellation​

1. Connect your AirPods to your device.
  2. Swipe down from the top-right corner of your iPhone to open the Control Center.
  3. Press and hold the volume slider until additional controls appear.
  4. Tap "Noise Control" and select "Off".
Disabling noise cancellation can help eliminate static noises that might be caused by interference or software glitches.

5: Reconnect Your AirPods​

1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Go to Bluetooth and tap the "i" icon next to your AirPods.
  3. Tap "Forget This Device" and confirm.
  4. Place your AirPods back in the charging case and close the lid.
  5. Wait for a few seconds, then open the lid and reconnect your AirPods to your device by following the on-screen instructions.
Reconnecting your AirPods can reestablish a clean connection and resolve any issues related to Bluetooth interference.

6: Contact Apple Support​

1. Visit the Apple Support website or open the Apple Support app on your device.
  2. Schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar or contact Apple Support for further assistance.
  3. If your AirPods are still under warranty, you can request a repair or replacement.
If none of the above solutions work, there might be a hardware issue with your AirPods that requires professional assistance.

Each of these solutions addresses different potential causes of static noise in your AirPods Pro, from software issues to physical blockages. By following these steps, you increase the chances of resolving the issue and enjoying clear, uninterrupted audio.

Reaction score
I ran this down to being caused by use of Noise Control. I suspect some moisture got into the microphone, possible corrosion. I stopped using them, bought a couple pairs of Anker. I don't think I'll ever buy AirPods; In part because they're expensive, they kept connecting to my MacBook Pro which I never want them to do. The final straw is the failure of Apple to address this issue.
But thanks for this troubleshooting guide.

Ask a Question