HomePod mini stuck in "configuring"

Reaction score
I recently bought a HomePod mini to use as a HomeKit hub and ran into some issues during setup. Initially, the update failed because I had "Advanced Data Protection" turned on. After turning it off, the HomePod updated from software version 15.6 to 16.5, but now it's perpetually stuck in the "configuring" stage.

I've reset the device multiple times, but it still says "HomePod is being configured. Additional settings will be available shortly..." in the Home app. Alarms and timers are greyed out, and it notes that they can only be managed when the HomePod is on the same network as my iPhone.

I've tried restarting my phone and router with no success. My router shows that the HomePod is connected to the network, but it doesn't appear properly in the Home app (I can't see the Wi-Fi strength bars). Despite this, I can use it as a speaker, and it shows up as an audio output option on my MacBook Pro. Siri can fetch information from Wikipedia, but it fails to set alarms or timers, saying something went wrong.

I haven't tried controlling any HomeKit accessories yet since they haven't arrived. Any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
I have ran into this due to the fact that my AppleID gets locked frequently.

You need to use FireFox or another 3rd party browser and log into either icloud.com, or appleid.apple.com. If you are advised that your AppleID is locked due to security reasons then follow the steps to unlock your account.

If you are able to log in without any issues, then you may want to change your password and try to setup the HomePod again.

Reaction score
Thank you so much MacsBug! I checked my AppleID and it wasn't locked, but I went ahead and changed my password anyway. I tried setting up the HomePod again and that resolved the issue.

Ask a Question