Found an old 2000's folder of scans, but cant open them in Photoshop 25.

Reaction score
Hi, I found an old disk of images that I Scanned in using an apple scanner in 2001. pretty sure they are all in Pict format. (loads of others are all in Pict format)., but with this 'Exec' Icon. all done on an old Bondi Blue iMac, dont remember the OS.

but the Pict formats will open in Photoshop, well Most of them, and then i have to go through the rigmarole of changing to Jpeg, and I have several thousand of them.

is there are app available for M1 iMacs that will open old formats.?

I do have a few old Mac computers, butthey are in storage, and i am moving. and will have to dig them out. (doubt they still operate.)

regards, Sandy

unknown formats.jpg

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is to just add an extension to the end of each of the files, you can use either .pict, .pct, or .pic for the extension and that should allow photoshop to open them.

An example would be if the file name is Ahmeds Page Numbers/ change it to Ahmeds Page Numbers.pict

Reaction score
Hi. thank you I tried adding the postfix, ".pict' but that did not help. still failed to ope in photoshop. I will try and start up an old iMac i bought as a 'collectors item' nostalgic item, but have never turned it on. fingers crossed. (but am moving house so it may not be for months) Regards, Sandy

Reaction score
If you want, you can zip, and then upload one of the files so I can examine it and see if there is an easy fix for you.

Ask a Question