Easy DVD ripper

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a DVD ripper for my elderly father who is downsizing and can't take his large DVD collection with him? Would need to be very user friendly as he is not an experienced Mac user. Thanks.

Reaction score
I can only recommend what I have used for years;
Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 14.45.37.png
It is relatively simple, available on the App Store and need not be the Pro version. Once you have converted one the process is the same for all. I think only the pro version can do "batch" conversions and it's not free but I can't remember the cost, I've had it since version 1.

How does he intend to replay them, that will decide what format to save them into?

The other aspect is storage, these saved movies can take up a lot of storage, the average 90min movie can run from 1-4GB depending on Definition.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - v helpful. Not sure what he plans to do with them / play it on - I think at this stage he just wants to save them all on an external hard-drive - but will have a chat and let him watch a demo to see if this is do-able.

Reaction score
Okay, well here is the developer's page and the instructions for converting DVD's to digital.
https://support.shedworx.com/support/home. They have been pretty good when I've needed them which was rarely.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - v helpful. Not sure what he plans to do with them / play it on - I think at this stage he just wants to save them all on an external hard-drive - but will have a chat and let him watch a demo to see if this is do-able.
An external HD would be a good idea, I used to do the same.

Ask a Question