Disk permissions (ssd external)

Reaction score
I use 3 disks for my photos, but now I am getting failure due to message saying I don’t have permission to access. I have checked the box at the bottom of ‘get info’ and my name is there next to read/write.
Any help appreciated

Reaction score
When you get Info on the volume try checking the box for Ignore Permissions. See if that fixes things.

Also, what Mac are you using, what version of macOS, and when are you getting this error message?

Reaction score
I have ignore permissions set. I am transferring photos from library to external disk as I have always done when using Catalina. I now have MacBook Air 15’ M3 2024. 16GB.Sonomo.14.6.1
I have4015 photos total. It has transferred now 2961. The message reads “ failed to create files for 1090 photos, and has listed the first 100, reason —-I have no permission to access disk.

Reaction score
It seems that perhaps the permission issue may be with your library. I would repair your library and then try again.

To repair your photos library make sure that Photos is not running, then while holding down the Command and Options keys open Photos. A screen should come up asking if you would like to repair the library, select Repair.

Reaction score
The repair carried out with no problems. It seems I can transfer 2,900 or so with no disk permission errors , but not the remaining 1000+. Would a corrupt file halt the transfer or should it ignore and complete the task?

Reaction score
Hi cabra,

Yes, a corrupt file can stop the task.

How exactly are you trying to copy the photos over? Are you dragging them from the Photos App? or a different way?

Reaction score
Yes I drag them from photos app. It has always worked like that for me. How would I find a corrupt file?

Reaction score
When you drag and drop photos from photos to a folder you are making jpg copies of the photos.

You can try to hold down the Option key when dragging the files. This will copy the originals.

You can also right click on your photos library and select Show Contents. There's a folder in there called Originals. All of the original photos should be in there and you can either drag the folders or use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the folders. If there is a corrupt file then CCC may be able to tell you which one it is.

Reaction score
The CCC APP found three corrupt files at the point where the transfer was taking place. I have deleted them and have now transferred them as normal.
thank you for the useful info and the app’
cabra

Ask a Question