Created network but it can't be joined by anything ?

Reaction score
I have created a hotspot network shared using the wifi of my M1 MacBook Air.

I did it initially to tether my FujiFilm camera but it wouldn't join. I put this down to the camera's wireless being temperamental but I've since tried joining it with my older MacBook Pro and also my Pixel 6a (running GrapheneOS) and none of the devices will connect to it although they all try.

The most feedback is from the Pixel, which says "IP configuration failure".

I have also tried sharing the Air's ethernet connection over wifi rather than choosing the "adhoc" option with no internet shared and it makes no difference, nothing will join the hotspot.

Does anyone have ideas, please?

P.S., running Sonoma

Reaction score
Can I just check that this is what you are doing: "Configure Internet Sharing under System Settings > General > Sharing. Use the "i" button to select a source and destination connection, then turn on Internet Sharing and connect using a second device."

Reaction score
Hi Rodananne – that is correct.
The source makes no difference to the outcome, but I have tried both AdHoc and ethernet. I actually only want to network two devices, so I don't need an internet source for this. The destination for other devices to join is always Wi-Fi, of course. Any time I've put in the wrong Wi-Fi password the other device has alerted me, so clearly the problem is not incorrect password.

Ask a Question