bundle app question

Reaction score
Hi everyone, found this one on MacUpdate, http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/53550/idoctor
I know how it looks like, but perhaps somebody can guide me through the basics? I mean, are those bundles like iDoctor of any assistance by having all-in-one features in one place?
Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.49.34 PM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

No, none of those utilities are really worth it at all, they are more trouble than they are worth. You should also avoid MacKeeper.

What is it you are trying to do?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

No, none of those utilities are really worth it at all, they are more trouble than they are worth. You should also avoid MacKeeper.

What is it you are trying to do?

C
Thank you, Cory
As far as I know even after the software is removed it leaves some files and folders in system, so I need another software to remove them. What about backups, if it is necessary? I saw it in list of bundles tools.
You know I am not really experienced user, could you advice something.
Thank you.

Reaction score
I also want to welcome you here! You'll find that quite a few of us are willing to provide assistance, and Cory is definitely one such individual!

His statement about MacKeeper is certainly accurate, and it needs to be avoided like the plague.

Regarding your questions, it would be beneficial if you could let us know 1) what version of the Mac OS X are you using (the latest is Yosemite, V10.10.3), and 2) what exact Mac model you have. For now, I can try and provide some thoughts/ideas, etc.

First off, it is best to get into the practice of doing as much self-cleaning as you can. If you no longer need something, then get rid of it. This includes unnecessary EMails. (By the way, when one deletes an EMail, it does not go away completely. I use Outlook, and that is the case. But, there is a way to permanently remove deleted EMails in Outlook that I use. Quite a few folks around here use Apple's Mail program, and I believe the situation is similar).

Secondly, whenever one installs an application, the installation actually includes a number of associated files. A good, free program to use for completely removing an application is "AppCleaner". You can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner

Third, for some more, safe cleaning of stuff, there is the venerable free program entitled Onyx. That one has been around for quite a long time, and has had numerous positive reviews. For myself, I rely on it as part of my arsenal for performing disk maintenance/repairs/backup processing. You can get that program from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Note, though, that the version you need depends upon which version of OS X you are using. (Note the "Related Links" part of that link).

Fourth, for performing disk maintenance/repairs, there is Apple's free Disk Utility program. However, there are times where it would be beneficial to have a more robust program such as Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro for such tasks (and more). I have both of them, and again (just like Onyx), I rely on TechTool Pro.

Finally, it is mandatory that one do backups. There have been numerous times where folks come here for assistance, but do not have a backup. They are not that difficult to perform. The "type" of backup you want to use depends upon your needs. Myself, I use the excellent backup/cloning program called SuperDuper! to perform my weekly backups for each of my machines. The advantage of such a program (Carbon Copy Cloner is another excellent choice) is that it creates a bootable backup of your system at the time you did the backup. For some folks, that is not often enough, and they use Apple's free Time Machine to perform scheduled backups of files and folders. However, Time Machine does not create a bootable backup, so recovery could be difficult, depending on how/what you need to recover. With a backup that SuperDuper! creates, one can just boot to that backup, and then perform maintenance on the original machine/disk, and do a complete restore, thus being back in business quickly. There is a "free" version of SuperDuper!, although it runs somewhat slower than the paid version (only costs $27.95). The paid version allows one to schedule incremental backups, similar to Time Machine. I have the paid version, but have never used (nor needed to use) that feature. I can tell you from direct experience that having such a bootable backup saved my "bacon" twice with my Mac Mini.

You should read through this thread about backups:

https://www.mac-help.com/threads/backup-your-mac.211710/

Reaction score
Hi honestone,
Thank you for help (I will try all apps you advised) it is really useful feedback.
I use Mac mini 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5/4GB LPDDR3 onboard memory/500 GB
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 ( I am going to update the version ASAP)

Reaction score
Before you just "try" all the apps I suggested, you need to have a step by step plan in place on how to proceed. It's OK to run the AppCleaner program first (if you need to). But after that, there are some prep work you need to do.

The first thing is, do you have an external hard drive? If you do, what is on it now, is it partitioned, and how many gigs does it have?

Secondly, did you read the info in that "backup" link I provided?

Third, have you decided "how" you want to do backups? That is, just use Time Machine, or a cloning program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner?

Lastly, do you have either TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior?

Ask a Question