Brother All-in-One scanning problem

Reaction score
Most of the time I have found Brother to make superb inkjet printers. I still have an MFC J5620 that I rarely use because the Control-Center software was never updated to 64-bit standards. Scanning was brilliant - you got a preview scan option and could - e.g. Move the scan boundaries to pick out a cartoon surrounded by irrelevant text. Two years ago I got a MFC J1300 that was a faster printer but there was no Control-Center - but a thing called Brother iPrint and scan. I was shocked at the difficulty of using it and the utter confusion it was causing everywhere. I saw testimonials by disillusioned Brother users - some of whom, quite understandably, thought the printer could only print pdf files! They were saying 'never again!' In fact you don't need to use it - you just click PRINT as always in whatever app you are using. So-- when I needed more ink, before getting a mortgage I thought a new printer would be a better idea, but the reviews I consulted were very keen on the Brother MFC J 4340, and were so enthusiastic that I thought they must have fixed the iPrint-and-scan difficulties, so I bought one. Printing is easy and really fast. The two-sided flip-over time is equally eye-opening, but scanning seems to require the unimproved iPrint and scan rubbish. A page can be scanned easily but I have found no way to control how much of the page is to be scanned. You-tube explanations are really poor and do nothing to clarify or help. There must be another way of scanning more flexibly - perhaps someone knows?

Reaction score
Most of the time I have found Brother to make superb inkjet printers. I still have an MFC J5620 that I rarely use because the Control-Center software was never updated to 64-bit standards. Scanning was brilliant - you got a preview scan option and could - e.g. Move the scan boundaries to pick out a cartoon surrounded by irrelevant text. Two years ago I got a MFC J1300 that was a faster printer but there was no Control-Center - but a thing called Brother iPrint and scan. I was shocked at the difficulty of using it and the utter confusion it was causing everywhere. I saw testimonials by disillusioned Brother users - some of whom, quite understandably, thought the printer could only print pdf files! They were saying 'never again!' In fact you don't need to use it - you just click PRINT as always in whatever app you are using. So-- when I needed more ink, before getting a mortgage I thought a new printer would be a better idea, but the reviews I consulted were very keen on the Brother MFC J 4340, and were so enthusiastic that I thought they must have fixed the iPrint-and-scan difficulties, so I bought one. Printing is easy and really fast. The two-sided flip-over time is equally eye-opening, but scanning seems to require the unimproved iPrint and scan rubbish. A page can be scanned easily but I have found no way to control how much of the page is to be scanned. You-tube explanations are really poor and do nothing to clarify or help. There must be another way of scanning more flexibly - perhaps someone knows?
Try using Image Capture.app. It’s part of macOS. I have a Brother MFC-L8900CDW and I found Image Capture better and more flexible than Brother’s Print Center. You may also want to reinstall the Brother printer in system settings. macOS installs printer drivers specific to what you have and they are generally more up-to-date than the ones from Brother.

Ask a Question