Battery at 80%

Reaction score
A bit odd. My new MacBook Air (Sonoma) was observed today to have battery level at 80% and NOT charging. This was after not having used it in 12 hours. It was plugged in, and everything at room temp. I diddled a little in the battery settings, and it started charging. Why doesn't the OS keep it at 100% when plugged in?? If I'm going to use it on battery power, I'd sure like it to be at 100% when I start doing so.

Reaction score
With macOS Big Sur or later, your Mac can learn from your charging habits to improve the lifespan of your battery.

In macOS Big Sur or later, Optimised Battery Charging is designed to improve the lifespan of your battery and reduce the time your Mac spends fully charged. When this feature is enabled, your Mac will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your Mac learns your charging routine and aims to ensure your Mac is fully charged when unplugged.

Reaction score
That's interesting. And yes, I understand that battery life is extended by not keeping it fully charged. But if I'm about to pull my Mac off power, and head off on a trip, I want it to be at 100%. How do I ensure that? That is, there ought to be a way to say FULL CHARGE NOW.

Reaction score

Pause or turn off Optimised Battery Charging​

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings.
  2. Click Battery in the sidebar.
  3. Click the Show Detail button ext to Battery Health.
  4. Turn off “Optimised battery charging”, then click Turn Off or Turn Off Until Tomorrow.
  5. Click Done.

Reaction score
Very good. Thank you! Somewhat oddly, "Battery Health" doesn't appear to offer any options. Sort of hidden. You have to click on the info ball on the right hand side to get to "Optimize battery charging".

Reaction score
Another option is to use an app called AlDente (https://apphousekitchen.com) You can customize your battery charge settings. I use it and keep my battery level set to 80% and then when I know I am going to leave the house I press the button called Top Off, and it then charges to 100%.

The basic parts of the app are free, or you can purchase the Pro version which I did.

Reaction score
That's interesting. Though it would seem that topping off the battery is straightforward enough with MacOS by turning off "Optimize battery charging", no?

Reaction score
If I remember correctly when I had optimize battery enabled, when I clicked on the Battery menu bar item, it would say that charging is on pause and gave me an option to continue charging. But that was quite a few OS's ago.

Since I leave my MacBook Pro's connected to power most of the time I wanted to preserve the batteries by not bringing them to full charge unless I needed the extra charge in the battery.

Reaction score
In macOS Sonoma you have the option to put the Battery Monitor icon on the Menu Bar or in Control Centre. I choose the latter because of space considerations on the Menu Bar. If I click on the Battery Monitor icon in Control Centre I get the below options;

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 13.47.57.png

As you can see, "Charge to Full Now" is an option.

Reaction score
Oh, that's kinda cool. Thanks. The "Charge to Full Now" option is only displayed, however, when the battery is not fully charged. Makes sense.

Ask a Question