Apple Watch Series 8 VO2 max not tracking

Reaction score
My Apple Watch Series 8 has stopped tracking my VO2 max. I've made sure that the watch is set as the data source, and it's still recording my heart rate accurately. I regularly do over 20 minutes of walking or running three to four times a week. I recently downloaded a Couch to 5k app, and I'm wondering if it might be interfering with the VO2 max tracking. Everything else, including other health data, is tracking normally and is up to date in the Health app. Has anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

Reaction score
It sounds like you’re experiencing an issue with your Apple Watch Series 8 not tracking VO2 max despite meeting the exercise criteria and having all other health data tracking normally. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve this issue:

Troubleshooting Steps​

1. Ensure Proper Settings:
    • Make sure that Cardio Fitness tracking is enabled in the Health app.
    • Open the Health app on your iPhone.
    • Tap on Browse > Heart > Cardio Fitness.
    • Tap Set Up and follow the on-screen instructions if you haven't already done so.
  2. Check Workout Detection:
    • Ensure that the watch is accurately detecting and recording your workouts.
    • Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
    • Go to Workout and make sure Start Workout Reminder and End Workout Reminder are enabled.
  3. Ensure Consistent Workout Data:
    • Make sure your workouts are being recorded correctly in the Workout app.
    • Ensure your walking or running sessions are logged as Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run. VO2 max is typically calculated during these types of workouts.
  4. Use the Apple Workout App:
    • Try using the built-in Workout app instead of the Couch to 5k app to see if that resolves the issue. Third-party apps might not provide all the data needed for VO2 max calculation.
  5. Check for Software Updates:
    • Ensure that both your Apple Watch and iPhone are running the latest software updates.
    • On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
    • In the Watch app, go to General > Software Update.
  6. Recalibrate Your Apple Watch:
    • Recalibrate your Apple Watch to ensure accuracy in tracking.
    • Go to an open outdoor area with good GPS reception.
    • Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch, select Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run, and walk or run at your normal pace for about 20 minutes.
  7. Reset Fitness Calibration Data:
    • Go to Privacy > Reset Fitness Calibration Data.
  8. Reboot Your Devices:
    • Restart both your Apple Watch and iPhone.
    • For Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until the sliders appear, then drag the Power Off slider. Press and hold the side button again until you see the Apple logo.
    • For iPhone: Press and hold the side button and either volume button until the slider appears, then drag the slider to turn it off. Press and hold the side button again until you see the Apple logo.

If the Problem Persists​

1. Unpair and Re-pair Your Apple Watch:
    • Go to All Watches, tap the info button next to your watch, and tap Unpair Apple Watch.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to re-pair your watch.
  2. Contact Apple Support:
    • If none of the above steps work, contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can help diagnose and fix any underlying issues.
By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the issue with your Apple Watch Series 8 not tracking VO2 max.

Ask a Question