A software update is required to use this startup disk. You can update now or select another startup disk

Reaction score
Hello, I have a macbook air that recently had this message pop up yesterday and about 3 weeks ago. When it happened 3 weeks ago, I clicked on update and nothing seemed to happen. Yesterday, I shut it down for a minute and booted it back up and the message went away.
Is this a macOS issue or possibly a hard drive issue? I'm afraid this message is going to pop up again.

Has anyone had success fixing this?

Thank you
Jason

Reaction score
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

Usually all you need to do is select Update. You do need to make sure that WiFi is turned on and you need to connect to the internet.

Reaction score
@MacsBug What does it update? I am new to macs and from what I read on one site. It says this could be a issue with the macOS.

Reaction score
On the M series Mac one of the options in the security settings is to only allow Authorized versions of the macOS. Every now and then the computer will need to verify with Apple that the startup disk has an authoirzed version of macOS installed. This normally should be done in the background. Usually the only time that you would see this is if you keep WIFi off, or you have your Mac turned off for a longer than normal period of time.

You can turn this lower the security settings, but unless its needed then I wouldn't recommend it.

Reaction score
On the M series Mac one of the options in the security settings is to only allow Authorized versions of the macOS. Every now and then the computer will need to verify with Apple that the startup disk has an authoirzed version of macOS installed. This normally should be done in the background. Usually the only time that you would see this is if you keep WIFi off, or you have your Mac turned off for a longer than normal period of time.

You can turn this lower the security settings, but unless its needed then I wouldn't recommend it.
Does it make a difference if the processor is a Intel? Is there a way to get this message back up so I can click on Update? Or we just have to wait until it comes back?

Reaction score
Hi Jason,

I have never seen this on an Intel Mac.

There are a couple of things that you can try.

1 Go to your system Settings (Preferences on older OS's) and then check Software update and see if there is an OS update available.
If there is an update available then install it. That should verify that the OS is good.

2. If there is no update available then boot your Mac while holding down the Command R keys. Once you get to the Utilities screen click on Reinstall macOS. This will download the same version of macOS is installed on your MacBook Air and then install it over your current OS installation. You wont lose any data during this.

Just a caveat, I like performing a full backup of my computer before installing an update or reinstalling macOS.

Ask a Question