SOLVED 10.11 Installer DVD

Reaction score
How can I get my hands on a 10.11 El Capitan installer disk to install on a MacBook Pro 5,2 17” 2.93Ghz Core2Duo?

I have a friend who wants to give this laptop to her great grandkids. Stupid me wiped the drive and then discovered Apple no longer supplies recovery for this 15 year old Mac.

It had Yosemite on it, but Everymac says it will run El Capitan. Any ideas where I might be able to download a reliable dmg that I can burn?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hey!!!

This may help:
You may need to change date & time on the Mac back if you get the "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading"

Once you are at the first install screen, go to Tools in the menu bar and open Terminal. In Terminal, type date MMDDHHmmYY replacing the letters as follows:
  • MM - 2 digit month: 01-12
  • DD - 2 digit date: 01-31
  • HH - 2 digit hour: 01-24
  • mm - 2 digit minute: 01-59
  • YY - 2 digit year: >15
Maybe try January 01, 2016 like this: date 0101120016

Then continue the install.

See if that works,

C

Reaction score
Well that didn't work. I bought an El Capitan installer (on a thumb drive) and it says it's corrupted and won't install. My friend found some original disks/documentation for something, may be for an iMac. It's Snow Leopard, so hopefully that will work.

Reaction score
Ok, well I’m now at Mountain Lion. The install disks were for 10.6 (but included the applications installer disk) after installation I had the iWeb application. Now there’s a blast from the past.

Anyways, I can’t seem to get past 10.8… looking at legacy patcher pretty seriously now. Maybe find out what Sonoma on a 17” Core2Dou 2.93Ghz machine will do.

Reaction score
ok, update on my dilemma. I finally got El Capitan installed on the MacBook Pro 5,2. I then updated using OCLP and after trial and error this is where I've landed.

MacBookPro17Monterey2.jpg

I tried Ventura, Sonoma and Sequoia and landed on Monterey for the Core2Duo. I'll be putting Sequoia on the Mac Pro (trash can) next.

That OCLP is pretty nifty.

Ask a Question