Macbook pro 2012 starts with Question Mark folder, will not correct in recovery mode, cannot reinstall OSX

Reaction score
Have a 2012 Macbook Pro, and it has a 750GB internal Hdd. I got the Qustion Mark folder on startup after upgrading to Catalina. After reading multiple forums, I tried using recover mode and reinstalling OSX, but the options to select a drive, when reinstalling OSX in recovery mode is blank, and I cannot select a drive.
I removed the HDD and it reads fine from my Mac desktop. Utilities disk repair states the drive is "OK".
Any tips as to how to reinstall the OSX would be greatly appreciated. Nothing on any of the multiple forums has worked so far.
thanks!
PS Also tried to creaet a USB bootable drive, but my desktop runs Monterey, and it won't download Catalina.

Reaction score
can you connect to another mac. if so will this macbook pro start in Target Mode. then get disk utility to repair, and the retry recovery mode.

Ask a Question