SOLVED EMail Icon

Reaction score
When I view mail sent by myself (as when seeing my message attached to a reply), I see an icon in the upper right corner of my message. Currently, this is a picture of the bottom of a golf club. Apparently, if you don't set an icon, your initials are displayed in a circle. My question, then, is where is this icon set? I can't find it in email Preferences.

Catalina 10.15.7.

Reaction score
If you go to System Preferences, then on top, you will see your name with the icon to the left of it.

If you move your mouse over the icon, you will see the word edit. Click there and you can change the icon.

Reaction score
Went to System Preferences; what's there is a default "top-of-body" icon with my name after it. Hovering over the icon, I see the word "edit" appear, but it is not selectable.

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 2.17.27 PM.png

Reaction score
If there is no icon there the next place to check is your contact card.

If you go to Contacts and scroll all the way to the top above the A's your card should be there.

Reaction score
OK, that worked, in that I could choose a different picture than the one that was there. When I tried clicking on "Photos", it said there were no photos, despite there being several gigabytes of photographs in the "Pictures" folder. How can I add my own photos to choose from?

Reaction score
To use your own photo there are 2 ways to do this. One is to drag and drop the photo into the icon area.

To use a photo that is in your photos library then you need to make sure that the photo library is set as the system library. You do this in Photos preferences.

Ask a Question